Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Makin' Bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by wacojoe View Post
    A cast iron skillet is great used to keep your blackened Redfish from curling up while sautéing it, if you heat one up and put the bottom on top of the fish while sautéing. Do it outside on the grill unless you have a really good hood and outside evacuating fan system.
    If I can fry bacon without burning it, I'll be happy...My nephew also told me about washing only in cold water...I'm still uncertain about whether I should "season" it again afterwards......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

After use, especially if you used it for BACON. There will be enough oil left after you pour it out to just wipe the skillet clean with paper towels. There will be enough oil to keep the pan from rusting and will keep it seasoned.

As Dave said, if there are spots of solid foodstuffs in the pan, hot water and steel wool then warm dry and a very light coat of [ I use crisco ] oil over the surface.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

That doesn't sound too challenging, even for someone of my limited skills......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Hmmm, all that makes it sound like I'd be better off finding a kitchen helper

or two....
    Last edited by Phillbo; 12-02-2019 at 11:36 AM.

I'm sorry to report that cast iron has resulted in another of my dismal failures...I used the same heat setting on the same burner as my other bacon skillets (which are the same size as the cast iron), and wound up with bacon burned to a crisp in the middle and raw on the ends...I washed it out in cold water and paper toweled it dry...I'm going to return it to my nephew and go back to what I know......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I'm sorry to report that cast iron has resulted in another of my dismal failures...
    It seems the failure may be equipment/compatibility related...My nephew noticed the bottom of the pan is slightly convex, and although it works fine on gas stoves and ordinary electric burners, it won't sit flat on my ceramic cooktop...That causes the center of the pan to get hot, and the edges to stay cooler, resulting in my bacon snafu...So I'll try the cast iron in the oven for cornbread and see what happens...

I learn something new every day......Ben