Thread: On apprentice programs I agree with trump

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

On apprentice programs I agree with trump

As some of you know I have written many articles dealing with apprentiship programs and comparing European education models to the US. I am in full support of developing effective apprenticeship programs.

Extracted from this morning's WSJ: (partial)

By Eric Morath
    Nov. 28, 2019 8:00 am ET

President Trump’s plan to expand apprenticeships into more vocations risks creating a rift with construction workers he is courting for support in next year’s election.

The administration wants to ease a shortage of skilled workers by allowing employers and business groups to set standards for apprenticeships, which combine on-the-job training with classroom instruction. Currently, standards are set by the Department of Labor, and most apprenticeships are run by trade unions under federal supervision.

The Trump administration initially won the support of powerful construction unions by promising to exclude the industry from the plan, effectively allowing the unions to maintain control of apprenticeships for carpenters, plumbers and electricians. Instead, the administration said it would focus on sectors such as health care and technology, where apprenticeships are rare.

But the pledge to exclude construction has been a subject of debate within the administration, according to a person familiar with the deliberations. Now, construction unions and Democrats in Congress are concerned the administration will renege on its promise—a concern heightened by the July departure of Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta, who favored the exclusion.

The unions, including North America’s Building Trades Unions and the United Brotherhood of Carpenters, see apprenticeships as potent recruiting tools and worry that business-run programs will reduce wages and weaken the quality of training.
    My concern is, that this decision will come down to votes and not the foresight of implementing such a program.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Hmmm....not sure I agree. Regardless, I don't see the trade and craft unions letting go of thier programs in favor of one run by the government or a business association. As a vehicle to unionize the tech industry, well this just might work.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Back when I got started millwrighting you had to want it bad and work hard learning a lot on your own. Learned my electrical just looking over someones shoulder doing something that interested me.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

My initial reaction was to be suspicious of the govt involvement in this, and caused me to recoil a little. After thinking it over, I have decided I don't know enough about what "they" have in mind so I will wait and see. This one could be all about the regulations.

My experience with most apprenticeship programs are the ones run by the unions and mandated on "davis bacon" jobs. We had our own since we were signatory with the guys formerly known as "the Steelworkers". I completely agree that we need these to try to keep a strong bench of craftsmen here in the US. The ones we had that were sanctioned by the govt missed the mark IMO. I'm starting to sound like a broken record

On balance, I am pro union (because they made my job easier and the only ones I ever had issues with were union leadership and even then I liked the guys).

don"

To the question of government involvement---most all of us received a major portion or all of our formal education via some government involvement.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    To the question of government involvement---most all of us received a major portion or all of our formal education via some government involvement.
    You will have to explain that one to me. I suppose if you were a fan of big government and knew me well enough you would say how fortunate I was to receive SS survivors benefits. My dead daddy would take exception to his taxes being characterized as a gift from government.

My last DOL compliance audit was a nightmare primarily because of government incompetence. Yup, the same folks who are going to magically create these apprenticeship programs (when private industry has sponsored them for decades). I hope it works but I will remain skeptical and hope to remember to come back here to check the progress of this next voluntary mandate.

don"

...most all of us received a major portion or all of our formal education via some government involvement.
    Darn straight - for both my wife and I. And, we've tried to steer the next gen into it too.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

As some of you know I have written many articles dealing with apprentiship programs and comparing European education models to the US. I am in full support of developing effective apprenticeship programs.

Extracted from this morning's WSJ: (partial)

My concern is, that this decision will come down to votes and not the foresight of implementing such a program.
    Duh doesn't everything in DC come down to politics, votes.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.