Thread: top US Cities in Per Captia Murder rates

top US Cities in Per Captia Murder rates

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    What do you find surprising?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

rates in the south and east
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Let's expand on this. Do you find the rates higher, or lower than you expected? I'm asking this because I'm a little surprised at some of the results. Some places I expected to see higher rates didn't even make the cut.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Let's expand on this. Do you find the rates higher, or lower than you expected? I'm asking this because I'm a little surprised at some of the results. Some places I expected to see higher rates didn't even make the cut.
    they were higher than I expected and like you noted places I expected to see were not there

I'm trying to understand the point you are attempting to make. Or maybe you just randomly decided to make this post I'm not sure.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

The statistics surprised me. plus the stark contrast to what the media hypes and public perception. I just thought I would share the information with the group. no agenda just adding to the knowledge base of this group.

The top five are no surprise. I need to find a list to study it farther. The click through site is not conducive to forming a realistic opinion for me.

I addition, I just spent the day working in Oakland and I was curious as to how it ranked vs my perception (27th) I was surprised to see, Stockton safer, Salinas on the list as well as San Bernadino

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    The statistics surprised me. plus the stark contrast to what the media hypes and public perception. I just thought I would share the information with the group. no agenda just adding to the knowledge base of this group.
    I'm glad you posted it. It will provide some food for thought for me. One of the things I used to do was compile crime statistics with all of the charts and fancy graphics my bosses wanted for presentations. I also produced a weekly crime map for the media. I hated that waste of time just so the media could fill space.

If you're trying to make the case that the murder rates per capita on the Pacific coast are less than most everywhere else including especially the southeast and some parts of the Northeast you would get no argument from me. However I have no idea what that does or what that means especially when you're taking intoconsideration some of the other endemic problems that go on in some of our Western States.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I'm not making any case at all. I was just surprised at some of the places on the list that don't rate a mention in the media out here. As for the west, its my own safety that's my concern. Oakland, Stockton, and Salinas are all within 90 minutes of me

I promise you I carry all the time. Never feel comfortable at red lights or certain areas. I feel your pain in areas like Oakland. Is really a sad deal that good folks like me and you need to feel like we need to protect our lives just doing ordinary things

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I believe the numbers to be true.. but.. what we can’t quantify is the difference between a city that is part of a metro area where the bad neighborhoods are one one side of a line and the good neighborhoods are on the other side ((Norfolk & Virginia Beach or Richmond and Henrico County in Virginia.. or DC, most nice neighborhoods are across state line).. versus cities that have large sections of “good neighborhoods “..

Not arguing that the listed cities are not bad.. they are.. just not necessarily in that order..

And around here.. being armed won’t normally help.. victims are collateral damage or targeted, shot with no warnings..

We're number eight, we're number eight. I mean ya got to celebrate something, right ?. Also three cities in LA on the list. Talk about a tourist draw.

And, without getting hammered to badly, those stats don't mean a thing without a demographic along with them. I can guarantee you what that would show for the numbers is Shreveport. Above 90% would be because of black on black crime. And surprisingly, a large number of that is in family disputes.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .