Thread: Here is a car that completly escaped me

Here is a car that completly escaped me

The 1952 Chrysler D'Elegance. This was a concept car hatched in conjunction with Pinin Farina and subsequently designed and built by Ghia.

I stumbled on this last night when I was doing some "refreshing" about the origin of the Karmann Ghia.

In 1952 my world was defined by the underside of milk cows and obviously the bigger world didn't sneak in.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    The 1952 Chrysler D'Elegance.
    It's a new one on me too, Dave......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Shame on me---I must have been so excited by the photos that I forgot to include this link.

Some of those photos were taken on the west shore of the Hudson River in front of the Ft Lee NJ escarpment. The George Washington Bridge is in the background. Others are taken on the east shore of the Hudson in the Ft Hudson Park off of the Henry Hudson Parkway.

Students of history may remember the Palisades (the escarpment) as the sight where Washington's army escaped the pursuit (albeit only momentary) of the British Army. Their escape was aided my one Mary Lindley Murray (for whom the Murray Hill section of Manhattan is named) who entertained General Howe and his generals at an afternoon "tea". It undoubtedly helped that the dear Quaker lady served wine and cake in place of tea and crumpets . Park Ave now runs north and south on the ridge of Murray Hill.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 11-24-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The styling hints which carried over into the Karmann-Ghia are obvious, as well as the later Imperial taillights and the 300 grillework......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    The styling hints which carried over into the Karmann-Ghia are obvious, as well as the later Imperial taillights and the 300 grillework......Ben
    Yes, both Virgil Exner of Chrysler and Mario Boano of Ghia claimed to be the principle designer of the Chrysler D'Elegance. Boano is generally thought to be the principle designer of the Karmann Ghia.

Looks like Chevy may have got a few ideas for the vet from that also.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

I had the same thought IV.

Definitely a Ghia build....