Thread: The Future Of Nuclear Power On The Battlefield

The Future Of Nuclear Power On The Battlefield

Not nuclear weapons, but nuclear power generation to replace liquid fossil fuels.

From 2001 until 2010, over half of the American casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan, more than 18,000 men and women, were from convoy operations — missions typically focused on bringing fuel and water to sustain the force in the battlefield.
    [snip]

.... to meet the higher energy needs of the next generation of weapons systems, the Army needs a generator that can dramatically increase the amount of tactical energy. Only nuclear power can provide the energy density necessary to have both a small footprint and a low logistical tail. It is not an exaggeration to say that the deployment of mobile, micro nuclear power plants would revolutionize military logistics for the 21st century.
    SOURCE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

It will be interesting to see how we'll see this issue impact the civilian world too. I'm looking forward to it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead