Thread: Out of the Frozen North.

Red face Out of the Frozen North.

I made it to Lake Pleasant on Monday after two and a half days heading south. I didn't do a very good of winterizing the fifth wheel before the cold of Nebraska. I plan to finish the repairs to the plumbing today. There's still repairs to the slide out and a list of others, never ending on a 21 year trailer. Much easier in shorts than a coat. Park is all booked for the weekend so I'll be heading to a ORV area with free dry camping. Have more appointments on the 13th and then I'll head towards Yuma and Quartzsite for the rest of the winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake Pleasant.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	37148  

Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

I have never been able to figure out what draws so many people to Yuma each year.... Does not look like a place I would want to spend my winters. Whats the draw?

The desert around quartzite is overrun with retiree "squatters". There is even a weird movie (that I will eventually remember) that spends a fair amount of time exploring the underground economy around "the slabs". Its like mad max for old people.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I have never been able to figure out what draws so many people to Yuma each year.... Does not look like a place I would want to spend my winters. Whats the draw?
    Warmth. Also if your looking to repair, upgrade or purchase a new RV there's a lot of chose. I can set in the desert very cheep, a little LP gas, some diesel and a trip to town twice a week for water and dump the tanks. The solar helps with the batteries. And before BLM screwed it up I could go way out and not see or hear anybody.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    The desert around quartzite is overrun with retiree "squatters". There is even a weird movie (that I will eventually remember) that spends a fair amount of time exploring the underground economy around "the slabs". Its like mad max for old people.
    the "slabs" are in California and have gotten bad with a large year round homeless population and drugs. And the "squatters" part, if you want to stay on BLM land and don't move every 14 days you need to pay a fee of $180.00 for October 15 to April 15 and live by their rules. Don't knock it unless you've tried it. And if you would like to check out some $500,000.00 coaches, come on down.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Damn Credit Card

I'm not knocking it. It is a little creepy though. If any of you were around the valley around 1970 you will remember that the desert between mesa and AJ was the same way. Creepy old dudes and their sand golf courses. They used to hate us dirt bikers.

don"

In the 70's i was riding in north scottsdale. Pinnacle Peak area.

My grandma lived at 104th and the apache trail. My cousins an I used to tear ass around the desert like we owned the place. Shot lots of stuff too.

don"