Thread: Correct response

Correct response

Hey Guys and Girls, if there are any reading , I have a personal problem and could use some advice as to how to handle it. Please feel free to give your opinions , good or bad , as to what I should do.

Assume for a moment that you received a gift. For the propose of this exercise, lets assume it was a book freely given by the author . A book that you in no way or form indicated you would like to receive. A book non the less that you were very pleased and grateful to receive.

Lets also assume that the book , was received in excellent condition BUT, the author neglected to sign said book thereby reducing the value by a considerable amount. Now IF, IF I were to consider selling said book to a collector , how could I expect to recoup the huge amount of money I did not spend to get the book in the first place ?.

I suppose I am required to at least thank the sender even tho he may have cost me a substantial amount of funds by neglecting to sign the book . The resale value obviously lessened by the non signature making said book not really worth putting on the market. So, I guess I will be forced to keep it and reluctantly I send many thanks to the author .

Now, is that the correct way to handle my problem ?.

The book for those who are wondering is titled APc-48 and the author , while not a household name may possibly be known to those of you who are discerning readers .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

The guy sounds like a real putz who is only interested in stroking his own ego by forcing his unasked for pathetic writings on an unwilling readership just as he foists his unwanted opinions on the bored audience of certain obscure internet forums...Maybe the book will make a good doorstop...

But I suppose if you really didn't want to hurt the wretched slob's feelings, you could thumb thru it and give an honest opinion as to the content since he is unlikely to ever get a public review anywhere...And since it was probably sent directly from the printer, and the mostly illiterate author never even saw your copy, he might be persuaded to autograph it (assuming he can operate a pen) if you were to mail it to him...

But that's only my opinion......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Hey! I got one of those books, too. The author asked me to read it and give him my honest feedback. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have only cracked the cover and read the first several pages. It seems that it will be worthwhile reading, but I just have to find the time to do it. BTW, THANK YOU to the author!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Now, is that the correct way to handle my problem ?.
    I think you handled it well. If you are grateful for the effort, that's what matters.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Just forge his signature.... Be sure to use a crayon.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Just forge his signature.... Be sure to use a crayon.
    The fat ones.....
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The fat ones.....
    I like the big triangular ones because they won't roll off my desk...Color selection sucks in those though, and they won't let me sharpen them by myself......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...