Thread: Resign to Run

Resign to Run

I was just watching the evening national news report on the 2020 hopefuls campaigning in Iowa and it struck me, why are these elected officials not in Washington doing their jobs?

I don't know how it works elsewhere, but in Texas, at least at the county level, you must resign your elected office in order to run for a different office. I think that is an excellent policy that should be applied across the board. There is no way an elected official can do the job they were elected to do while they are running for a different office. The higher the office, the greater the dereliction of duty. Also, it would make the career politician think twice before jumping into a campaign with no chance of winning.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I was just watching the evening national news report on the 2020 hopefuls campaigning in Iowa and it struck me, why are these elected officials not in Washington doing their jobs?

I don't know how it works elsewhere, but in Texas, at least at the county level, you must resign your elected office in order to run for a different office. I think that is an excellent policy that should be applied across the board. There is no way an elected official can do the job they were elected to do while they are running for a different office. The higher the office, the greater the dereliction of duty. Also, it would make the career politician think twice before jumping into a campaign with no chance of winning.
    At the very least their pay should be adjusted for time "out of the office". That includes all candidates for all offices.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Anyone else who spends the time they are paid to be on the job to look for another job just gets fired......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

trump has been campaigning since election day
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    trump has been campaigning since election day
    According to him he's never taken a paycheck...I can't verify because he hasn't shown me his tax returns...Maybe we're getting what we're not paying for......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Note: Except in New York, where Trump must provide his tax filings for 8 years.
    I didn't do it - the courts did.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead