Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump's Impervious Wall Breached...Again and Again

You guys should view "the wall" as a wildlife crossing. Its meant to direct crossing to areas where you can be helped - either for immigration matters or humanitarian aid. We have been practicing catch and release for years. There is no possible way in hell I or anyone else with any sense thinks there will be a wall along the entire southern border. I think the russians are behind this.

Im in favor of turning the inaccessible sections over to the militias.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I do not wish to see a wall built along the border. To me, there are more negatives than positives on the tally sheet to build a wall. Better to revise our immigration policies and laws to meet with the problems of today than to waste money on a wall that will never work. For the type of protection Trump and others seem to think a wall can provide, they will need to construct a copy of the historical Berlin Wall with all of the waste of human life that would cause.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I do not wish to see a wall built along the border. To me, there are more negatives than positives on the tally sheet to build a wall. Better to revise our immigration policies and laws to meet with the problems of today than to waste money on a wall that will never work. For the type of protection Trump and others seem to think a wall can provide, they will need to construct a copy of the historical Berlin Wall with all of the waste of human life that would cause.

Just for giggles---the Berlin wall worked for two important reasons---there were no "desert" areas devoid of human activity and they shot anyone foolish enough to get close to the wall----that makes it hard to get the ladder into place

The wall is a pipe dream.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post

.......and they shot anyone foolish enough to get close to the wall----that makes it hard to get the ladder into place

Exactly, Dave! That is the waste of human life I mentioned above. I think only a very few would endorse that idea.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Mike nails it.

Huner
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I have no real preference and no expertise regarding border security. All I really care about is that our border is not constantly overrun illegally without any legal process. That can not be good for our country. Maybe somebody smarter than me can determine how many folks we can take in a month to meet our immigration goals. Once met no more until the next entry period. Who knows.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Exactly, Dave! That is the waste of human life I mentioned above. I think only a very few would endorse that idea.
    There is a little advantage to trying to keep them in rather than trying to keep them out---you can shot before the fact
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The waste of life occurred until those whose lives were being wasted demanded more freedom and independence within their own nations...They didn't necessarily want to live their lives as strangers on the other side of a brick and mortar line drawn in the dirt by the few who thought they could control the many...They wanted the freedom to conduct their own lives as they saw others doing...

Until those people existing under less productive and more restrictive governments demand more for themselves and their futures, there will be those who elect to take the illegal shortcut into what they perceive as their destinies...And those lives will be wasted of their own volition...The Berlin Wall and the entire Iron Curtain fell under the guidance of an American President who had the vision to see them crumbling by those on the inside who demanded improvements inside their own borders rather than invading another country......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Guys, I have 3 Nephews who've married Mexican women. So, I know there's alternatives to storming the border. And, how did they meet these women? As Missionaries for the LDS Church. The Mexican women are wonderful and fit well in our family. We've got some history with this - my fraternal grandmother was from Chihuahua in Mexico. She married a Texan and gave birth to my 85 year old father.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

If I was going to make generalizations about the geography of the border, I guess you could say its "basin and range" characterized by long expanses of rugged terrain and wide valleys where you can cross in a wheelchair. Where we were, the border was paralleled by (I beieve) highway 2* for those of you wondering how many there are. The border patrol guarded us during the day and after we all went safely home each night the caravans streamed across. It is literally a life or death commitment on their part. And sometimes innocent people get caught in the crossfire.

Being the selfish a-hole that I am, I am far more concerned with what these people are doing to the environment there than their heartbreaking struggle. It is a stunningly beautiful place inhabited by magical creatures like jaguars and sonoran antelope. The illegals are destroying it in their flight for a better life. I support the wall in places like this if for no other reason than to preserve whats left. Those who oppose it think the opposite but 99% of them couldn't find it on a map.

And lets go back to the beginning- this was all a knee-jerk reaction to 9/11. If I wasn't so lazy I would go back and look what we said then. I recall a spirited discussion about civil liberties. Something changed.

*On edit: we should close the border for no other reason than to keep the "vehicles" on MX2 off of American roads. I used to stare across in disbeliefe at the things that were strung together. There were donkey wagon trains passing 6 semi trailers tied together with rope and wire. Crazy.

And for the record, I am not anti immigration (whatever that means). Quite the contrary. Enjoy.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    If I was going to make generalizations about the geography of the border, I guess you could say its "basin and range" characterized by long expanses of rugged terrain and wide valleys where you can cross in a wheelchair.
    [snip]

Being the selfish a-hole that I am, I am far more concerned with what these people are doing to the environment there than their heartbreaking struggle. It is a stunningly beautiful place inhabited by magical creatures like jaguars and sonoran antelope. The illegals are destroying it in their flight for a better life. I support the wall in places like this if for no other reason than to preserve whats left...........
    And what you said about the beauty and the wildlife is the main reason I oppose the wall. Who wants to look at a rusty graffiti covered wall in the middle of all that nature put there? I'll admit I wasn't there to see what the caravans are doing, but I can't believe they are causing more damage than everything it takes to build a wall and then the wall itself destroying the view and stopping the free movement of wildlife.

The secondary reason I oppose the wall is the cost. They haven't even got a good start on the wall and those who want in have already found multiple ways to defeat it. Spend that money on something more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    I I am not anti immigration...
    That is appreciated, Curt.

I was coming North out of Tombstone Arizona on my 3-wheel Harley a few years ago when I ran into border patrol cops. They had a roadblock set up on the 2 lane highway and were checking everybody - except me. I probably look like your average white Caucasian, they simply waved me through. It made me feel proud to be a US citizen. I think I was instantly recognized as one of the locals.

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    That is appreciated, Curt.

I was coming North out of Tombstone Arizona on my 3-wheel Harley a few years ago when I ran into border patrol cops. They had a roadblock set up on the 2 lane highway and were checking everybody - except me. I probably look like your average white Caucasian, they simply waved me through. It made me feel proud to be a US citizen. I think I was instantly recognized as one of the locals.

Hunter
    Unfortunately in today's climate what the cops did would be deemed racist profiling for letting you go based soley on the color of your skin. Sad but true.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Ahhh… I think I've reached the point where I'll take any recognition I can get. Thank you, Curt.

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Guys, I have 3 Nephews who've married Mexican women. So, I know there's alternatives to storming the border. And, how did they meet these women? As Missionaries for the LDS Church. The Mexican women are wonderful and fit well in our family. We've got some history with this - my fraternal grandmother was from Chihuahua in Mexico. She married a Texan and gave birth to my 85 year old father.

Hunter
    No problem with me, I happen to be very fond of Latina beauties.

Now, if we could figure out a way to leave the guys south of the border..................