Thread: An open link to an interesitng historical article from the WSJ

An open link to an interesitng historical article from the WSJ

I was part of the German rfeunification period--I lived it in the same way Germans lived it.

This is an interesting look back at the past 30 years (it is hard to imagine it has been that long).

I went into the former East Germany shortly after the wall came down--and it was a sobering place. The people almost universally looked sad--a smile was not a commodity, it was a rare treat. The appearance of the entire country stood as a striking contrast to Western Germany. In every town my eyes would burn from the pollution. The roads were a mixture of pre-WW II autobahns and one lane secondary roads. If no traffic was approaching you could drive on the single lane of paving---when opposing traffic came you shared the lane with the left side and put the right side off into the dirt.

Few building (including homes) were without broken windows and everything had a dirty brown coating to it from the pollution. Fields were not tilled into the corners, they were all rounded off--no one cared. The forests were untended, unlike Western Germany were they were almost manicured in contrast.

Few spoke English--their second language was Russian. Accommodations were sparse at best.

Over time I saw massive changes---there was a period were I had to wonder if tower cranes could bred! Even the smallest of towns had their own selection of cranes working on water treatment plants, power plants and new factories.

I worked closely with a West German company who bought an East German "company"---they were unprepared for the reality of it. The 40 years of "cultural conversion" had taken a toll. The traditional work ethic was gone--and trying to bring it back was very difficult. These people had never worked a full day in their lives because they would run out of supplies long before they ran out of day!

The years did see great progress in the infrastructure and the physical appearance of the country--and even some began to smile. One of my most memorable experiences for me was watching the restoration of Dresden's Frauenkirche (Church), a massive undertaking which began by picking up all the stones, which had been left were they lay after the end of the bombing, tagging them and taking them down to the bank of the Elbe River, separated into piles.

During the restoration I would go to Dresden even if I was only close---just to watch the rebirth of that church.

Anyway---not all has been a rebirth, some has not gone as hoped, and this article does well at describing that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	444.4 KB 
ID:	37150  

Last edited by Dave Grubb; 11-09-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I think the fall of the Berlin wall was a huge victory for the West over the Russians. East Germany personified every thing bad about Communism, and the reabsorption of East Berlin into West Berlin was undeniable. One can hope that the West learned from this debacle not to let Communism gain a foothold again.

Capitalism trumps Communism was the take-away message.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I have not experienced life in any communist or former communist country that I thought even close to comparable to free societies.

With that said, many who lived under the former USSR still have lingering regrets of no longer having "mother" taking care of them.

One example, a woman I worked with in the Czech Republic. I asked her one day if she was happier living in her newly independent country than she had under the USSR.

Her response was lengthy and in a summary---mixed. Her daughter (teenager) was an aspiring ballet dancer. Under the USSR her training was free, now they had to pay. The concert hall that we were driving past at the time had previously cost pennies for a ticket was now expensive and the masses could no longer go and enjoy the art. Her husband had been a government "trader" and had been unemployed since the collapse.

Did she wish to return--no---but clearly she felt the loss of mother's protection and sponsorship.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    As on old hillbilly working 60 hours a week in the mill, this part of history was still very much in my mind as it unwound. Back then we all were all so proud of our Pres. never heard of all the grumble we have now.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.