Thread: Wild temperature swings causing TPMS problems

Wild temperature swings causing TPMS problems

My TPMS system is going nuts because of the wild temperature swings we are now experiencing. I've been chasing tire pressure for 3 weeks now trying to keep it normal. I've heard using nitrogen makes the system a little bit more stable has anybody done that and do you have any recommendation about nitrogen and I'd also like to know what the cost would be to go with nitrogen.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Over the years I've seen a lot of debate over this. My gut feeling says to go with whichever you are most comfortable with. I'm fine with just plain air with a bit of Houston's pollution as an additive. For a more educated guess, Blow Here.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

We used to use nitrogen in some circumstances. My only vague memory is that it was a bigger pita than it was worth. I usually remember the good and bad things and forget the stuff in between. Nitrogen was forgettable.

Off topic but we expanded a nitrogen plant for a company called Praxair. Their primary customers were tire recyclers who apparently used the nitrogen to freeze the tires and then "crush" them into little pieces to be sent into the recycling stream. Sounded pretty cool and I wish I could have seen it.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Other than an annoying light, what other impact does the light being on have to the vehicle? If none, I'd wait until the temps moderate and then adjust the psi instead of chasing it.

I just keep 100 PSI in all 7 tires, and don't worry about it......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Yep, we see it here too, especially since our temps are now in the teens.

I should have stayed in Las Vegas.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Other than an annoying light, what other impact does the light being on have to the vehicle? If none, I'd wait until the temps moderate and then adjust the psi instead of chasing it.
    I don't mind the light but my car shows the exact pressure in each tire. Two of mine had 24 pounds and I don't want to drive 80 mph on that low of pressure. Yesterday for example it was 72 when I left and 47 when I got home. 31 this morning and 63 now. Crazy.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

What did you do before you got that gauge? Probably nothing other than check them every now and then. If you didn't have that display you wouldn't worry about it. A piece of black electrical tape can solve the problem and you just check them every now and then like in the past.

"What, me worry?"
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    What did you do before you got that gauge? Probably nothing other than check them every now and then. If you didn't have that display you wouldn't worry about it. A piece of black electrical tape can solve the problem and you just check them every now and then like in the past.

"What, me worry?"
    I am about to that point sick of chasing it.