Thread: E40D Trans

E40D Trans

I need a trans for my 94 F-250, pretty sure its the E40D. Mostly what I fine says case only. I'm thinking that meane something that I don't have a clue on. What does case only mean? It's empty no guts? No converter? I've taken them out and replaced the O-ring at the front but all I had to do was put back what I took out, I can do that getting pieces from 10 different places to put together will probably not help me. I'm a carpenter but I can turn a wrench as long as I know what's wrong, most of the time.
    This is your mind on drugs!

I was never a transmission mechanic, so my knowledge is limited here...I have no idea what "case only" means...If that Ford diesel site where we all met is still around, they might be able to answer...I don't envy anyone changing a transmission lying on your back though......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Without talking to the guy selling you it, I take it to mean a case only no internals. If your case is good no cracks then you need a overhaul kit. The few I worked on were not that hard to do since it's a remove this and replace it with that. Of course all sorts of info is on the net for showing one how to do it. And if you don't need a specialty tools to work on them you could do most or all of it yourself.

Now days when they reach into the thousands to do it may be better to sell you rig and get another. Not saying that's the best option either.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I've heard the autos are a bear to rebuild. All kings of bearings and chases etc.. I did find a site that sold complete trannies for 1200. but on the same site I saw a guy asking a question that sounded like the problem I have and the part was $75. One can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I was never a transmission mechanic, so my knowledge is limited here...I have no idea what "case only" means...If that Ford diesel site where we all met is still around, they might be able to answer...I don't envy anyone changing a transmission lying on your back though......Ben
    I replaced the main seal by myself. I had to take tranny out a F-350 tranny with nothing but a bottle jack. I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing but I did it in a day and it worked afterward, I was younger without an inkling of anything being able to defeat me. I bench pressed that thing back up in there three times before I got it to stay long enough to bolt.. and I was a proud SOB once I got done.!!! I couldn't do that now.

That's why up to this last truck I always bought manual trans. What scared me more was not the gears in the trans but the hydraulics in an automatic. And now the electronics.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    That's why up to this last truck I always bought manual trans. What scared me more was not the gears in the trans but the hydraulics in an automatic. And now the electronics.
    If I had a choice on the truck it would have been a manual but I bought it used really cheap, the auto is what it had. I thought about trying to find a manual in a junk yard but I'd have no idea how to install it or what I'd need to even start.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    If I had a choice on the truck it would have been a manual but I bought it used really cheap, the auto is what it had. I thought about trying to find a manual in a junk yard but I'd have no idea how to install it or what I'd need to even start.
    A lot of money. The current truck is auto because I needed one quick. Also somewhere around 2016 ford no longer offers a manual.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    Also somewhere around 2016 ford no longer offers a manual.
    The same thing happened to the real trucks from Dodge......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...