Thread: Who Knew

Who Knew

From this morning's briefing in the NYT:

A secret space plane

An unmanned U.S. spacecraft landed on Sunday after a record-breaking 780 days in orbit — but possibly only the Pentagon is sure what it’s been up to.

The Boeing-built X-37B resembles a small version of NASA’s retired space shuttles. It was launched via a SpaceX rocket on Sept. 7, 2017, but flew back to the Kennedy Space Center like a plane.

Reporting on a previous flight, Tim Fernholz of Quartz described the X-37B as one of the “weirdest open secrets in space,” a reminder to Russia and China that the U.S. “has a maneuverable spacecraft capable of hanging out quietly in orbit, shadowing their space assets, and doing, well, who knows what?”

This flight’s mission was to “test experimental electronics and oscillating heat pipe technologies,” according to a U.S. Air Force statement, and to provide “a ride for small satellites.”

That alarmed Jonathan McDowell, an astronomer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, who noted that the U.S. had not registered any satellite deployments, as required by U.N. convention.

“This would be the first time that either the USA or Russia has blatantly flouted the Convention,” he tweeted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	37135  

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Not so secret anymore....

I've been following the X-37B flight for a couple of years on Military.com...It has great potential......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I've been following the X-37B flight for a couple of years on Military.com...It has great potential......Ben
    Ya---but you aren't right
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Ya---but you aren't right
    That can be taken two ways:
    1. I ain't right in the head...
    2.) I'm wrong...

I won't argue the first, but if you meant the second - how?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I was talking about the first one---I mean---after-all---who in hell watches ugly truck videos---without sound

Dat just ain't right

I would want to take a long soak in a tub after that flight.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I was talking about the first one---I mean---after-all---
    In that case, no argument......Ben