I know what I think is good Cajun Gumbo when I taste it, but my attempts to make it have had poor results. I ran across the article below and will be trying again to make my own. One of my earliest comfort foods from childhood when my mother and father both worked was opening a can of Campbell’s Chicken Gumbo soup. I still eat a can often, but that is not what we are talking about here. Canned soup is hardly true gumbo. My idea of “good gumbo” is far beyond that though. My idea of the dish is a seafood one with shrimp, fish and crab — no sausage or chicken and no oysters or crawfish. I know the key is proper dark and rich roux, and I have been lacking on the right timing and flip of the wrist here. The article may have given me a clue why. I have used butter instead of oil and my roux has turned out too light or burned. I also favor okra over file’ but not so much that the final result is thick. I’m thinking good gumbo is an art, not a science.

http://dish.allrecipes.com/gumbo-bas...ferringId=1426

I know we have experienced gumbo lovers here from when I ventured a quick recipe using an H.E.B. prepared mix that got Mike’s 👎. Any thoughts would be nice.