Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooper Tires...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Best I ever had were BF Goodrich Commercial.. procrastination prevented removing the winter BFG AT before the New England trip, also left the generator home (short run to Connecticut to meet friends, why will I need a generator??) and hurricane Sandy took a turn and hammered us (and out new Coopers).. could have used generator the night that Sandy hit and then sold it for a Kings Ransom to a local.. (But Nooooo! Einstein left it home!,)

BTW.. BFG AT (when not exploding and folding up fender) are the best snow tires I’ve ever run!

On edit.. I think that they now make a second Commercial tire, an all season, maybe the replacement for the rugged trail??

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I think that they now make a second Commercial tire, an all season
    Commercial tires, engineered for highway use not local delivery, are the way to go...I've used nothing but since I wore out the OEM on my 2003...First Michelin, and now in my cheapskate retirement years, my Chinese Roadlux......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

OK, had the new rubber put on yesterday and the truck is feeling kind of squirrely and is not tracking well. I checked the tire pressure and they had them aired up to 80psi Rear and 60psi front. Sounds strange to me.

Door sticker states 75psi all around.

Opinions? I called Discount and they told me the 60/80 pressures were normal.

I'm going to go with 75psi all around and see if that feels better....

75 PSI won't hurt a thing...If it handles better, leave it......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I've a question. Once the new tires are changed how can one use the pressure ratings that are on the door sticker that apply to the tires that came on the truck? Ben, aren't the tires on your truck rated at 95 PSI? Your door sticker has what? I remember you mentioning it but now can't remember.
    This is your mind on drugs!

The only reason to run 80 lbs rear and 65 front, as my sticker on the F350 says, is if you are towing or hauling heavy weights. When not towing, I air down to 50 lbs on the front and 55 lbs on the rear. It makes for a much smoother ride.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The only reason to run 80 lbs rear and 65 front, as my sticker on the F350 says, is if you are towing or hauling heavy weights. When not towing, I air down to 50 lbs on the front and 55 lbs on the rear. It makes for a much smoother ride.
    I totally agree with that, I air down to 60 all the way around if I don't have a load. Yes! a much smoother ride.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    Ben, aren't the tires on your truck rated at 95 PSI? Your door sticker has what? I remember you mentioning it but now can't remember.
    For once, sir, your memory cells are fully functional...My 245/70R19.5 LR "H" (16 ply) tires carry that rating...Yes, they are way overkill for carrying my weekly groceries home from HEB, but I got used to it years ago...The tread and sidewall construction in my tires are far heavier and thicker than the tires that were originally on the truck...If I aired them down to 50 PSI, the truck would ride immensely better, but the heat buildup in the tires from the lowered pressure would also begin to deteriorate the tires from the inside, thereby reducing tread life, increasing fuel consumption and leaving me at risk for an unwanted tread or sidewall separation just when I didn't need it...At the cost of a logwagon ride, I prefer the increased safety and longevity of what I have now at 100 PSI rather than riding on more appropriately sized tires at a lowered pressure...

I admit though that I do enjoy the ride quality more when my buddy asks me to haul a few dozen square bales of hay for his wife's horses when two bales would overload his new Toyota......Ben