Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooper Tires...

Cooper Tires...

Time for new tires on the beast.. Was not happy with the BFG AT KO's.

Thinking about a set of Cooper Discoverer ATP's... Anyone have any insight?

I looked at Cooper when it came time to re-shoe my beast earlier this year, and reviews were good, but the green god of greed prevailed in the end, and I bought Chinese Roadlux from Amazon...I remember pricing Michelin at $435 apiece against the Roadlux at $174 including delivery to my door...I can't remember how much the Coopers were, but I know they were at least a hundred more each...Even if they were made by starving slave children in Chinese dungeons, they do have DOT numbers and I've had zero issues with them, they ride smooth, balanced easily and no perceptible wear yet......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Discount Tire is quoting me $188.00 ea with a 55000 mile warranty on the Coopers.

I miss the BFG Rugged Trails. I ran them on every truck I've owned since the 90's. Good long lasting tread. No longer made.

I have had many Coppers, so I guess that says it all.
    Currently the 250 is on Coppers and the 350 is on Michelins, both are good.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I have Cooper's MasterCraft brand courser AXT on my dually. I like them. I also had their Roadmaster 19.5's onmy SRW
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

We tried the discoverers on my wifes f150 and got average tread life. I just replaced my hankooks (excellent but very expensive-35,000 out of them) with dick cepeks (cooper brand) which I got from my ford dealership for $212 ea (f350 w/20's). They have a 50,000 tread warranty which is completeley unrealistic for tthe way I use them. The bridgestones that came on it got 25,000. I have already tried to tear the crap out of them between the rockpiles in Az and the gravel roads here. So far so good.

My ford dealership beats the pants off walmart on tires and they are good dudes.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I have used Cooper's and found them to be very good. However the last set I dropped on the Accord were Asian made and 30 percent cheaper. So far they have held up. Got them at Walmart
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

The tires on my Accord age out before they wear out. Nurse Paula drives it very little. 2001 with only 105000 miles on it.

So, I think I'll give the Coopers a try on the F250.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Ran Coopers for 25k on the F-350.. RF developed a big “ goose egg” and had to replace them..

Had Coopers because if you want a 265-70/16E in Lyme Connecticut on a Saturday and don’t want a Cooper, you don’t really want a tire.. reason I needed a tire in Lyme Connecticut is that the RF BFG AT had just blown and taken the RF fender with it..

Cooper did not take a fender when it failed..

Only tires that I ever just wore out on the F-350 were the stock Firestone..

Good to hear from you again, Joe......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

What Ben said

Your post reminded me of the Firestones that were on my 250 when new. I finally took them off because they got a bit loose on wet roads, I think that was about 85,000.

I tried to replace them but they weren't available any more.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    What Ben said

Your post reminded me of the Firestones that were on my 250 when new. I finally took them off because they got a bit loose on wet roads, I think that was about 85,000.

I tried to replace them but they weren't available any more.
    I bought a set of wheels?tires from a guy who put monster mudders on his truck so I had 8 Firestones.. the Fifth wheel trailer would wear the rear tires twice the rate as the fronts.. i thought that I was going to run firestones forever.. and yes they got squirrely on wet roads ..

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Good to hear from you again, Joe......Ben
    I'm around.. just don't post much.. anywhere..

BTW.. love the picture above of your truck.. would like to see those exhaust clamps after a northeast winter.. tangent follows, I'm replacing the lifetime stainless exhaust system that i put on the 4Runner, the hangers rusted, broke.. system sagged and cracked..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    .. love the picture above of your truck..
    Anything to please my fans......Ben

Best tires ever were the BFG Rugged Trails.... Until they stopped producing them.. Ran them for years and got a consistent 60-65K out of them. Probably the reason they stopped producing them.

I went with the Hankooks this time around. Good reviews and a 55K warranty (what ever that means on a tire).