Thread: Saturday night diner with family and friends

Saturday night diner with family and friends

We were at our middle son's home for a wonderful diner. He is a professional chief and we were treated to Cioppino, a Brussels Sprouts based salad and home made sourdough bread.

I don't find an Italian translation for "cioppino"--possibly due to it's origin in this country. Italian fishermen who fished at sea from CA would commonly tie their boats up side to side to form a raft over night while remaining at sea. Their diner of choice was a fisherman's stew made up of offerings from their day's catchs. Very similar to bouillabaisse but with a tomato base. The star players last night, shrimp, clams, and mussels. I would have been perfectly happy to simply pour off a large cup of the resultant stock and gone off into a corner to quietly savoir it. Even the heady aroma, full of garlic and the sea were alluring.

I'm sorry that I failed to take a picture

Here is a online image:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	37108  

Last edited by Dave Grubb; 10-13-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That sounds a lot like Cajun Court-Bouillon
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Looking at your link makes me think they are very similar.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis