Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where did summer go?

Where did summer go?

I woke up this morning in a cold RV. I had set the thermostat to 71 and the AC was running when I went to sleep last night. This morning It was 61 inside the RV and 48 outside. I didn't pack for cold weather.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

It's still Texas, remember?...Give it 15 minutes, it'll change......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

And if you need to buy warmer clothing before you leave there, Broadway Center is north of where you are now...They had a great men's store at one time, the name of which escapes me......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

There is an Academy we pass too. I've been in need of a new Carhartt for a while. Today I will probably get one.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    There is an Academy we pass too. I've been in need of a new Carhardt for a while. Today I will probably get one.
    Any day that brings a new Carhart is a good day
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The bad part is that I am thinking of moving to this frozen waste land. The other bad part is that I'm going home to the year round free sauna.

Ah, yes. Carhart does make good stuff.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

The bad part is that I am thinking of moving to this frozen waste land. The other bad part is that I'm going home to the year round free sauna.
    May I ask where you are?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The bad part is that I am thinking of moving to this frozen waste land.
    If I remember right (I know that's a stretch) Grizwald either lived very near there, or was working a job there once...I haven't seen him around here much lately, but he may have some more current intel on the area than I do......Ben

We are at/near Tyler, Texas. Looking to buy a small farm where I plan to run a few head of Longhorns. Just as a hobby and occasionally sell if they decide to over populate the farm.

I had the urge for longhorns many years ago. I went to the American Royal in Kansas City for the sole purpose of buying good breeding stock---and then when I got prices I decided chickens would be just fine

I used to spend a fair amount of time in Tyler but I never saw much of it. The company that I was working with in Tyler would pick me up in the morning at Allentown Pa. and fly me to the AP in Tyler and when I was done--fly me back. Between the speed and the route they were able to fly it was an easy trip.

I woke up this morning in a cold RV. I had set the thermostat to 71 and the AC was running when I went to sleep last night. This morning It was 61 inside the RV and 48 outside. I didn't pack for cold weather.
    Stop your crying. It only lasted one day and by the first of November I'm heading back to the oven (Phoenix).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weather 9-9.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	37096  

Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    The company that I was working with in Tyler would pick me up in the morning at Allentown Pa. and fly me to the AP in Tyler
    That would be Pounds Field in Smith County...My illustrious USAF career began there with my first flight ever...I boarded an ex-military gooney bird operated by TTA (Tree Top Airlines), and left for Dallas and my induction......Ben

Mike I just found out that Pounds Field operates a military museum in its original passenger terminal...Probably similar to the 1940 Air Terminal Museum at Hobby Airport...In addition to other displays, they have a Lockheed F-104...It might be worth a look while you're there......Ben

an ex-military gooney bird operated by TTA (Tree Top Airlines)
    All righty then----Tree Top Airlines-----now that would have made me feel all warm and fuzzy

As for my induction---I went by train to Philadelphia, I think it was my first train ride

That leads into another story

Try to imagine this picture. My Mennonite Mother took me to the station---where we were joined by a young lady I was seeing at the time---who happened to be going to summer school at the Catholic High School--and she was wearing her uniform.

I know my Mother was equally (and deeply) troubled by her son going into the military and at the same time kissing a CATHOLIC girl goodbye