Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where did summer go?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    All righty then----Tree Top Airlines-----now that would have made me feel all warm and fuzzy
    The official corporate name was Trans-Texas Airways, although it's unknown if any of their flights ever made it all the way across Texas...The low altitudes were generally kept due to the broken windows, which also prevented the smoke and fumes from building up in the passenger area...But they were the low bidder for military passenger service, similar to Trans-Caribbean Airways whose flights I survived on three trips across the Atlantic......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Trans-Caribbean Airways whose flights I survived on three trips across the Atlantic......Ben
    Math students following this thread will note that three trips across the Atlantic would have left me in Europe...My fourth flight (sequentially the third) was aboard a USAF C-141 as part of an enroute support team when my fighter wing was rotated back to Spangdahlem from Holloman AFB in NM to participate in the war games...It was a 12 day trip including the 10 day stopover in Bermuda at the Naval Air Station there just in case any of our F-4's needed repair to get there...It was the only enjoyable rotation of my USAF career...Sorry to hijack your thread, Mike......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The cabin this morning. It was colder a little earlier but I waited for it to warm up before going outside. Yup, summer's gone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2764.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	376.5 KB 
ID:	37105  

"Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

As for my induction---I went by train to Philadelphia, I think it was my first train ride
    You did mean wagon train, right?......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    The cabin this morning. It was colder a little earlier but I waited for it to warm up before going outside. Yup, summer's gone.
    I was in Durango Sun-Tue.... Summer is gone for sure...

The perfect weather is just starting here!!

You did mean wagon train, right?......Ben
    Steam
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Back home now. New Carhartts for me and the daughter. No new farm just yet, it looked a lot better in pictures and I'm still mulling it over.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

If I remember right (I know that's a stretch) Grizwald either lived very near there, or was working a job there once...I haven't seen him around here much lately, but he may have some more current intel on the area than I do......Ben
    I'm thinking it was White House, a small suburb of Tyler, if you think Tyler is large enough to have suburbs.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm thinking it was White House, a small suburb of Tyler, if you think Tyler is large enough to have suburbs.
    It was Whitehouse, I used to bank there when I worked at General Electric just down the road (it was just big enough to have its own bank)...GE later became Trane, but I forget who has it now...Grizwald once posted some pictures when he was removing a hydraulic shell press I once operated at GE......Ben

I just looked at the map...Whitehouse is directly due east of the property I'm selling for my Mom's estate...The GE plant was north of Whitehouse on Hwy. 110......Ben

I had the urge for longhorns many years ago. I went to the American Royal in Kansas City for the sole purpose of buying good breeding stock---and then when I got prices I decided chickens would be just fine
    I'm not going in this to make any money. I'd be surprised to break even. As a youngster up until I became a city slicker I was messing with cattle and haying and all the other stuff owning cattle entails. As an officially retired old fart, it is just a historical/nostalgic thing for me. I'm thinking of buying about a half-dozen pre-bred cows or heifers. I don't think I want more than that. And maybe trade or sell some of them or the offspring just to get new blood in the micro-herd. Maybe add a couple of American Bison (that's Buffaloes, Philbo) for the same reason.

Math students following this thread.............
    Speaking of math students, I recently bought a new T-shirt with the inscription "5 out of 4 People Struggle With Math"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Speaking of math students, I recently bought a new T-shirt with the inscription "5 out of 4 People Struggle With Math"
    I advanced to geometry T-shirts "Why Are Obtuse Angles So Depressed? Because They're Never Right"......Ben

I advanced to geometry T-shirts "Why Are Obtuse Angles So Depressed? Because They're Never Right"......Ben
    Okay, yours is better than mine, but only for those who have a clue about what an obtuse angle is.

Care to jump right in here, Phillbo?

(Yes, it is jerk Phillbo's chain day just to see if he is still alive out in the land of heat and sand.)