Thread: Hey Dave Grubb?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey Dave Grubb?

my apologies, this would be better as a pm but my phone won't give me the option. Some time ago you posted about a trade school being supported by industries, I think in NC? can you recall for me what that was? 2nd child is looking at options and I can already see she is not university material. I'm steering her to possibly electrician training to start, just to get her underway.

bumpersticker by NT Candy, on Flickr

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    An electrician is a good trade, did it all my life, even learned how to screw in a light bulb.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

I don't know if she would be interested but welders can make an incredible amount of money if they have the certs and skills.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I don't know if she would be interested but welders can make an incredible amount of money if they have the certs and skills.
    Candace is a welder...There os still a high demand for pipeline welders......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Candace is a welder...
    I already knew that. Not questioning her skills at all, but to get the really big bucks you must have the certs.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I already knew that. Not questioning her skills at all, but to get the really big bucks you must have the certs.
    Obviously...I was never certified, so my paid welding was limited to production lines...Unfortunately a lot of that is now handled by robotics...Choosing the right welding (or any other trade) school and gaining the necessary certifications is the best way to enter the field......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

well she's not a physical type really, so I explained there would be trenching and drilling as a journeyman but once she got her lic lackeys would do the grunt stuff

thanks Dave.

I know numerous welders.. its not the welding that is at issue, its where they have to do the work. Dropped into shafts, tanks, boilers.. on beams.. nope, not the type of thing she would enjoy at all

It was just an idea I had about getting big bucks. I would never recommend her to be doing it on-site in a construction environment. Too much could go wrong there. But, there are jobs in fabrication that pay quite well without getting your shoes muddy.