Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So where do you stand?

Whats all this bullroar?

I rarely dive into any of the "serious" discussions up here because you are a bunch of grumpy old men who would never admit they were wrong and sure as hell ain't going change their minds. No, that doesn't seem to be the purpose. I honestly think you enjoy the banter.

That said, I wont argue about whether Trump is an R or whether/how the R's became extremist by remaining the same and how the party of sex changes for inmates became mainstream. The simple fact is Trump is the Prez because the other candidate was worse. My personal vow to end partizanship is to continue to vote for the best candidate.

Phillbro 2020 - The Choice is Clear

In the meantime can someone do something worthwhile like posting pictures of something you built or some pretty leaves or even some food?
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    Whats all this bullroar?...you are a bunch of grumpy old men
    Who you callin' grumpy?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Who you callin' grumpy?......Ben
    Us.

On edit: as you know I just got done camping with 4 of us "old guys" (even though we understand we are still young :wink. We have know each other for 40 years or more. The increase in intolerance and grumpyness is easy to notice as we have all grown set in our ways. I've come around to its normal.
    Last edited by CactusCurt; 10-02-2019 at 07:25 AM.

don"

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    That's one of our problems, IMO, we all think we're better/smarter than the next guy and mostly have way more than we deserve. What we expect is usually way more then we deserve.
    You have taken that completely out of context.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The following is a personal opinion and therefore any opposing views will be ignored .

So, after reading the description of what a true Republican should believe, I have concluded that Trump, with the notable exceptions of [ education and environment ] has for the most part kept within the standards outlined.

Now, some may take exception to his actions regarding foreign relations but each leader has their own method of dealing with international relations so I’m willing to give him a bit of Daves slack on that one.

Lower taxes, increased employment , Constitutionalists on the bench , restrictions on ILLEGALS entering the Country.

What else is needed to be a “ true “ Republican ?.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Whats all this bullroar?

I rarely dive into any of the "serious" discussions up here because you are a bunch of grumpy old men who would never admit they were wrong and sure as hell ain't going change their minds. No, that doesn't seem to be the purpose. I honestly think you enjoy the banter.

That said, I wont argue about whether Trump is an R or whether/how the R's became extremist by remaining the same and how the party of sex changes for inmates became mainstream. The simple fact is Trump is the Prez because the other candidate was worse. My personal vow to end partizanship is to continue to vote for the best candidate.

Phillbro 2020 - The Choice is Clear

In the meantime can someone do something worthwhile like posting pictures of something you built or some pretty leaves or even some food?
    So I've been working on the 1920 house I purchased last year for retirement. One project is to upgrade the electrical to the two garages and to go underground. The overhead wire is hanging too low and hits the bimini top on the pontoon and no way can I park the fifth wheel in front of the garage. So I have been working on a trench to route the conduit for the new wire. I finally got it under the driveway and this is the routing.

While digging the trench next to the new garage I found what looks to be a steel barrel. Not sure why it is there but this land used to be fields before they built houses in 1920.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barrel.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	37082  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ditch 1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	37083  

Name:	Ditch 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	37084  

Name:	Ditch 3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	37085  

Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Nice, B74. That's a good job you did there (on several levels).

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Blue not sure that's 18" deep required for burying power. At the minimum I would suggest that you cover with 2 inches of concrete. That way the next guy digging there hits something first before slicing into the conduit.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    You have taken that completely out of context.
    I started to add; "Not sure if I'm on the right track here!" I apologize.
    This is your mind on drugs!

I hope you're not getting it inspected, I don't believe you have anywhere near the correct gauge, judging by the size of the conduit. If you are getting it inspected just wire up one light per gargage. Just for grins what gauge are you running and what size breaker are you using.
    This is your mind on drugs!

That must be Nebraska? Never saw brown dirt in Phx...

The barrel would concern me a little. It might just be farm junk but it looks like it was placed there. I would get it out of there. Hopefully it was a cistern and not a septic tank. And farmers never buried anything nasty....

BTW, I have the same project on my to do list - power to my "barn".

don"

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Nice, B74. That's a good job you did there (on several levels).

Hunter
    Thank You. It was a lot of work for an old guy.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Blue not sure that's 18" deep required for burying power. At the minimum I would suggest that you cover with 2 inches of concrete. That way the next guy digging there hits something first before slicing into the conduit.
    It varies in depth. Most of the run is under concrete and paving blocks. Just trying to continue with the work I found. They had run Romex through schedule 40 water pipe hanging from boards going around the metal garage. That was after drilling a hole between the two garages to run it from a fuse box with glass fuses. It has one 20 amp fuse for both buildings. That has all been removed or is going to be.

I have taken photos and plan on printing them and placing them in the breaker box in the garage, might also put a set in the Safety Box I'm coming out of.

Name:	Blocks.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	37086  

Retired April 17, 2019
    Damn Credit Card

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    I hope you're not getting it inspected, I don't believe you have anywhere near the correct gauge, judging by the size of the conduit. If you are getting it inspected just wire up one light per garage. Just for grins what gauge are you running and what size breaker are you using.
    Oh but I think I am. It's 3/4" conduit and will be running 8 ga through it. It's a total of 62 feet run there will be two 30 amp circuits. There's two 30 amp fuses in the safety box on the house and in the garage there will be a breaker box with two double breakers, eack being 15 amp. I wasn't sure what gauge to run for the neutral and ground so all will be 8 ga. Oh and I have to order it because I can't find the proper wire in the little towns around here. I'm using THWN-2.

So do you think it's covered? And if you happen to be in the area next spring you could help when I wire both garages, still trying to decide if i should use armored wire or do conduit and pull the wires. Still thinking of doing something with the wooden garage.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Damn Credit Card

That must be Nebraska? Never saw brown dirt in Phx...

The barrel would concern me a little. It might just be farm junk but it looks like it was placed there. I would get it out of there. Hopefully it was a cistern and not a septic tank. And farmers never buried anything nasty....

BTW, I have the same project on my to do list - power to my "barn".

It's right next to the slab for the metal garage so I figure they "found" it when doing the prepwork. I wasn't going to do it by hand so figured to leave well enough alone. It was in an open area before they built the new garage, so it might have been their septic. Not sure when they went on sewers. The neighbor that stopped by was telling me when each house was built and stories about the sewage system. I need to call the village because "we" think there's a water leak at the end of my driveway. I just thought it was a mud hole but it said it's been that way for years.

Once I got through the top layer that has gravel in it for the driveway it is a soft, sandy soil. To keep from doing a lot of shoveling I was able to make a attachment for the end of a section of conduit to attach to the end of the hose and use water pressure to break up the soil and then dig it out.

Name:	Orbit Sprinkler System Under Walkway Pipe Tunnel Kit.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	37087  

Retired April 17, 2019
    Damn Credit Card