Thread: A family tradition continues

A family tradition continues

Late in the day yesterday my 13 year old grandson got his first buck---with bow and arrow

Fittingly he was with his father so they could share the experience together. Last year he missed one with a gun in one of my fields. This one was in Md near his home.

I will be hunting with my 11 year old granddaughter in rifle season. I have three sons who are spaced in age so that I was hunting with one of them for six years---and I prefer to hunt alone. I have to admit I was ready to move on when that period ended--now the thought of entering that again is something I look forward to.

Deer hunting in Pa is still a right of passage to many but the numbers decline year over year.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It sounds to me like it's a good family tradition.

I fondly recall hunting those fast little California deer with my Father and uncles. I really got to see my father in a different light during those times. Now, he's in his 80s and is just as active, but the mental processes have slowed. But, everything brightens when viewing my father through the perspective of time. Dad used his old Winchester rifle to hunt and usually succeeded in bagging a deer half the times we went out.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Here is a picture of the proud hunter

As I pulled the first photo out of the file I saw this one--about 10 years ago when Ben and I took a walk in the woods and I "found" a lollipop in my pocket
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ben's first buck.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	37072  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ben lollypop.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	380.6 KB 
ID:	37073  

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

See a happier smile for the lollipop. LOL Congrats to your grandson.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

When you are 13 you have to be

That's great, Dave. I am a firm believer in hands-on child rearing. Teach and show them how to live a good life and they are likely to live a good life.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke