Thread: Lancaster Central Market

Lancaster Central Market

We spent the afternoon yesterday "shopping". First, my replacement Amish (although they are old order Mennonite) green grocer. I made another haul on hot peppers so I will load the dehydrator up today. Then we went on to the Lancaster Central Market, established in 1730---and in continuous operation since then.

From Wikipedia:
    A public marketplace was deeded on this site in 1730 as part of the settlement of Lancaster. The marketplace was officially chartered by King George II on May 1, 1742, officially designating Lancaster as a market town. The Central Market occupies a portion of the original marketplace, with the first permanent building erected in 1757.

This 20,540 square-foot brick building sits adjacent to the old City Hall, Lancaster's very first skyscraper as well as many other historical buildings.

The current building was built in 1889, and is a brick building with a hipped and gabled terra cotta roof, in the Romanesque Revival style. Central Market was designed by English architect James H. Warner, who eventually made Lancaster his home. Its front facade features twin towers measuring 72 feet (22 metres) feet tall, with a gable between them. The interior structure has wooden pillars supporting the roof with a grid of steel rod Howe trusses.[4]

The Central Market was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.[1] The Central Market is owned and maintained by the City of Lancaster and has been since its development. In more recent years the Central Market Trust, which is a non-profit 501 (c)3 organization has managed it. The trust was formed in 2005 and consists of the Market Manager and eleven volunteers from the community.
    My "best" find of the day was aged (2 year) goat cheese from the stand in the photo below. They have been there since 1797

The lady told me that they had been dairy farmers, but in 2007 they sold the dairy herd, and the next day her husband came home with a truck load of dairy goats! I can attest to the successful transition from cows to goats. The 2 year old cheese never made it home--at least that anyone would notice it

Wikipedia has a very good picture of the exterior of the market building.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lancaster Central Market 2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	37066  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lancaster Central Market.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	37067  

Last edited by Dave Grubb; 09-21-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis