Thread: Amazing Military Career

Amazing Military Career

Joe Ronnie Hooper’s service record remains one of the more difficult to fathom combat resumes in United States military history.

Throughout the course of his Army career — one that came in the wake of a three-year Navy enlistment — the Piedmont, South Carolina, native who was raised in Washington state earned two Silver Stars, six Bronze Stars, and eight Purple Hearts, among an abundance of other accolades.

Principal among these recognitions is the Medal of Honor Hooper earned for Herculean efforts during the evening of February 21, 1968 — during the savage Battle of Hue — a day in which he would be credited with 22 confirmed kills.
    The Rest of The Story
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

A few more CMoH inspirations......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I probably should not say this---but I will. First of all I have nothing but respect and admiration for Sgt (and Captain) Hooper---a deep felt thank you sir. That said--and here comes the should not say part---but all of that for what?

At the end of the day what did we gain? Then think of what we lost---we lost our brothers and sisters to an ill advised conflict brought to us by politicians that lied to the entire country.

I'll shut-up now
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Dave, I agree with you 100%.

We should never have been there to begin with. But that doesn't lessen what this man did.

[on edit]

I know you were not belittling what he did.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Dave, I agree with you 100%.

We should never have been there to begin with. But that doesn't lessen what this man did.

[on edit]

I know you were not belittling what he did.
    That is the last thing I would do!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    That is the last thing I would do!
    I know that, but I felt a need to post a disclaimer just in case you might misinterpret my post.

Thanks--but no need--I understood.