Thread: A peak at the inside of Chinese disruption

A peak at the inside of Chinese disruption

This in my email this morning:

Greetings, David-
    Once again, I cannot open your photo, but I assume it's quartered, and gorgeous.
    Just checking to make sure your comma is in the right place....did you mean 33,000 SF, as in thirty-three thousand feet?? My god.
    I would relish the opportunity to get that sale for you, but the Chinese are buy the lion's share of the ebony logs today, and they are slicing it at .4mm or less.
    I have given up on it as a species because the Chinese production is so thin, and the quality of the cut is horrible. Thick and thin mis-cut veneer is useless.
    While I don't want to be a wet blanket, you might want to consider another species.
    I have a customer who bought zebrano from me and ebonized it and I cannot tell the difference. I will send you photos so you can see it. It's remarkable.
    You're basically turning $2.00 wood into $10.00 wood in the spray booth.
    So I thank you for the invitation to the dance on this one, but I will not be able to help, unless you want to go the Zebrano route.
    The good news is you can actually get Zebrano. I think you're going to have a tough time with the Ebony.
    With thanks, and best regards for the long weekend,
    Ben
    Simply put--you use (or try to use) Chinese crap or find something else

Our most common veneers are cut in the area of 0.026", 0.4 mm is 0.016"---and that is a huge difference in how it runs.

Another reality that I have dealt with for years: the majority of all cherry veneer comes from Pa and when I go into log yards in China and see piles of Pa cherry it pisses me off---we send them logs so they can add value by slicing and then send it back at a much higher price. I have long been an active advocate of veneer mills here taking control of the Pa cherry.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm sure you know about this.

I remember when I was a kid that if we picked up something and looked at the bottom and saw a sticker that said "Made in Japan", we would just put it back. Because no way would our dad buy it.

I'm tired of buying something, knowing that it might last long enough for the project I'm doing but might not work the next time I need it. It's sad but I'm starting to miss that Made in Japan stuff.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Ok, but why are the chicoms able to do this? Is it through statecraft or unfair trade practices? Would tariffs help...
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.