Thread: Jury duty 101

Jury duty 101

Got 3 call ups for jury duty since I had knee surgery. I got deferred because of the PT after surgery for 2 of them. Last one was for yesterday.

So wife and I got up early to drive to the courthouse and be there in time to get through the security check before there was a long line. Greet at the door by swarms of mosquitoes, why someone thinks they need to water plants in a desert I figured that out. But made it through and went to register. Gal looks at the note for PT still scheduled and says you should of emailed that in. Laughed and said the last time I did that I got a note back saying there were more hoops to jump through to get a 3rd medical release.

Take a seat and wait about 20 minutes and one of the clerks welcomes all of us and plays a video about the service jury duty is. Heartwarming and all the good stuff was in there. Then like a stewardess on a planes starts to explain the locations of doors, restroom, lounge, smoking areas. She then explains that there is just one case and should last for 4-5 days and will start after they get a jury selected. She mentions that because the county is on the end of they cycle for people to be on juries that once the process was over those that weren't selected got a 2 year reprieve for getting another letter to serve. Mentioned gas reimbursement and daily allowance if chosen. Goes on to explain court procedures and what could happen is the case is settled or dismissed, etc....

OK so now waiting for the next announcement for who was going to the courtroom first. About this time a second clerk come up says something to the first gal. The lady then comes back and says there good and bad news. Because you all are here you are dismissed since the case was settled out of court. Because it happened so fast your check will have to be mailed.

Got a certificate of service and will get a check for mileage.

Best part was got to take the wife out for breakfast on the way to the store.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Lucky you
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Jury duty can be a real PITA, however if you get on a jury with something interesting especially a criminal trial it can be quite fulfilling and most leave that duty with a sense that they have done a good deed for their community regardless of the verdict. But with you getting back on your feet glad you got out of it. You did something good because many just do not show up.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.