Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tribute thread...

Tribute thread...

Eric's thread about his Dad's WWII service made me think we might have a thread honoring those family members who served our nation in wartime...Here is my Dad in uniform on leave sometime before deploying overseas...Beside him is my Uncle Vernon whose service inspired three books...At that time Vernon (my Mom's brother) was about 17 and had not yet enlisted in the Navy......Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	133.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	37024
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Coming from a long line of conscientious objects (Mennonites) I was the first---and so far the only

If the criteria were extended to concealing and transporting runaway slaves, then I'm all in

I have to admit to another handicap in this endeavor---since having your picture taken was shunned I have no pictures to share.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    If the criteria were extended to concealing and transporting run away slaves, then I'm all in
    Sounds like laudable service to our nation to me......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Sounds like laudable service to our nation to me......Ben
    Thank you sir--and I agree--but at the time it could have serious consequences if caught.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

--but at the time it could have serious consequences if caught.
    In which case we might not be having this conversation.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    In which case we might not be having this conversation.
    Exactly

I don't know of any white "conductors" who were hanged--that was a reward reserved to free blacks who aided their enslaved brothers. Punishment for white conductors in the north was pretty much limited to beatings by the "head hunters" before 1850. In some cases their houses and or barns were burned down.
    Under civil law, (the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850) any person who was caught helping a slave escape or offering shelter could be sent to jail for 6 months or subjected to a $1,000 fine.
    A number of safe houses in this area remain--complete with their concealed spaces, were the escaping slaves could hide and rest before continuing on to their goal of Canada..
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 08-25-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Dad---Army started as a private and by the time he left was a Lt Col. Said he couldn't get much of a job in San Fan in the 30's so joined the Army. They found out he could type and play basketball. That lead him to be trained at the Presidio. He was scheduled to go overseas to the Philippines for basic but they needed a clerk typist so he got the job. They shipped him over to Hawaii in the end of 1940. Somewhere late 30's he met my mother at a Christmas party. Dad later was commissioned an officer and worked in Ordinance all the while he was in the service.

Mom---Army nurse got transfer to Hawaii. Married Dad May 7 1941. Lived 4 years there two blocks off the beach.

Dec 7, 1941 both were getting ready for church service when the attack happened. Dad left for the headquarters where he was stationed. Mom left for the hospital. Mom later recalled that she was on duty until that Thursday. As a surgical nurse one could image the injuries she help attend to during that time. And all the wounded that came in until they left Hawaii in 1945. She never mentioned much about the wounds or people she treated.

Dad recalled a couple of stories--
    1. about going down to the dock and requesting a jeep. Seemed since he was just a Lt at the time the Captain in charge said no. Dad with out taking a breath said he just needed the Captain's name so that he would let Admiral Nimitz he wouldn't be getting his jeep. Needless to say the jeep was delivered that afternoon.
    2. Later in charge if ordering all the supplies needed for the invasion of Japan and later the supplies that might be need to help restore Japan after the bomb. No one knew how much supplies might be needed. He never said much about that operation except to say he was over there shortly after the bombs were delivered in charge of food rations and blankets, etc...

Later served as in charge of the Santa Barbara Bitlmore since the Army used it for returning Officers. Mom recalled the night that Harpo Marx proposed to her during a show. Shocked that he could speak.

Dad later served in Korea and was wounded. He later ran the Army dock in Seattle where I would get to hang around every once in a while until he retired in 1956.

I was drafted into the Army in 69 and served as a cook/clerk in Germany. Discharged as an E-5 in 71.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Great legacy Fred---thank you and your parents for their service

Mom and Dad were married 11/6/1941...A month and a day later - well you read the history books...Dad volunteered for the draft even though he could have taken an exemption because of his age (25) and marital status...Off to the Army he went, and he returned in Spring of 1946...I was born 9 months and 10 minutes later......Ben

I was born 9 months and 10 minutes later.
    I would not touch that line with a stick

I don't know much about either of my parents. My mother worked on the Manhatten Project, in what capacity I don't know, she was a Brillant woman that I know. I remember my dad talking about getting shot while in Korea and I found paperwork on him pertaining to his service in WWII but beyond that I don't have a clue.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    I found paperwork on him pertaining to his service in WWII but beyond that I don't have a clue.
    Have you done a search in NARA?......Ben

I would not touch that line with a stick
    I'm pretty sure he was being careful to take the time so as not to tear his uniform......Ben

I believe the second ting you do after returning home is, get up and apologize to the crowd.

That's funny Ben.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'