Thread: Truck Produces More Energy Than It Uses

Truck Produces More Energy Than It Uses

It seems plausible to me. It uses gravity in place of traditional fuels.

Electric vehicles are everywhere now. It’s more than just Leafs, Teslas, and a wide variety of electric bikes. It’s also trains, busses, and in this case, gigantic dump trucks. This truck in particular is being put to work at a mine in Switzerland, and as a consequence of having an electric drivetrain is actually able to produce more power than it consumes.

This isn’t some impossible perpetual motion machine, either. The dump truck drives up a mountain with no load, and carries double the weight back down the mountain after getting loaded up with lime and marl to deliver to a cement plant. Since electric vehicles can recover energy through regenerative braking, rather than wasting that energy as heat in a traditional braking system, the extra weight on the way down actually delivers more energy to the batteries than the truck used on the way up the mountain.
    SOURCE
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

To do a true energy balance, you have to add the energy to mine and load the material it carries. When that is done the equation changes.

As a side note---regenerative charging has been used in off road trucks for years---they are hybrids but utilize the same technology.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    To do a true energy balance, you have to add the energy to mine and load the material it carries. When that is done the equation changes....
    That's a good point I hadn't considered.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

A mistake I think most people would make---including (possibly) the author.

If his premise were correct, all we need do is place all the world's mines above their refineries---problem solved
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Actually I look at it another way. The energy consumed mining and loading is a relatively static number that exists regardless of what form of transportation moves it down the mountain So, yes using this type of electric truck would in fact result in a net energy savings.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.