Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppressors

I have fully suppressed speakers here......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I took delivery of the new Ruger 10/22 take down today and had a conjugal visitation with the Ruger Silent SR-ISB suppressor. I forgot to get some sub-sonic ammo and the range didn't have any. So, I used some CCI Mini-Mag High velocity ammo. Not the right ammo to test the suppressor, but it is what I had.

We started by running 20 rounds through the stock barrel followed by 20 rounds through the suppressed barrel. The suppressed barrel was definitely quieter than the stock barrel, but not what I expected. I feel sure some sub-sonic ammo will make a great difference.

I didn't realize it when making the purchase, but the suppressed barrel has no sights. I was surprised how well I shot without the sights! Nothing to brag about, but at least I hit the target. I will have to stick some sort of optics on it when I decide between a red dot and legacy scope.

I will get a few different types of .22 ammo and try again next week with optics installed.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I'm looking forward to your reports on this issue in the future, Mike. For, my experience with suppressors is very limited.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Here's another video comparing standard vs. suppressed. Jump to the 10:40 mark.

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Interesting technology demonstrated in that video, Mike. Thank you.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I just ordered a few boxes of sub-sonic ammunition to test with the suppressor.

CCI Quiet Semi-Auto .22 Long Rifle 45 Gr. Target Lead Round Nose
    CCI Quiet .22 Long Rifle 40 Gr. Lead Round Nose Subsonic
    Aguila Subsonic .22 Long Rifle 38 Gr. Subsonic Hollow Point
    Aguila Subsonic .22 Long Rifle 40 Gr. Subsonic Lead Solid Point
    CCI Quiet .22 Long Rifle 40 Gr. Segmented Lead Hollow Point

Some of these probably won't cycle the rifle action, but I expect that. I can always manually cycle the action, or use them in one of my other .22 weapons.

There are a few others I'd like to try, but they are all sold out.

I suspect we will find something that works nice and quiet with the rifle. As soon as the ammo arrives I will arrange another conjugal visit with the suppressor. I'll probably try them out even before in the back yard. I have a chronograph and will test them with it, too.

Oh! I almost forgot. I ordered a sound meter to see how well the suppressor really works. I'll post the info when I get everything in and tested.

I never thought much about suppressors, but this is becoming an addictive hobby. I just might go ahead and order a can for an AR-15 while I wait for this one to clear ATF.

Mike, your test plan is definitely scientific. We could be looking at another career.

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I suspect we will find something that works nice and quiet with the rifle. As soon as the ammo arrives I will arrange another conjugal visit with the suppressor. I'll probably try them out even before in the back yard. I have a chronograph and will test them with it, too.
    It's my guess that the heavier projectiles will give you fewer malfunctions since a blowback action functions best from recoil...I'd be interested to know how this functions for you...I also used to sell the powderless, primer powered Aguila 20 grain subsonic...It wouldn't function a semi-automatic, but was quiet even without a suppressor......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    It's my guess that the heavier projectiles will give you fewer malfunctions since a blowback action functions best from recoil...I'd be interested to know how this functions for you...I also used to sell the powderless, primer powered Aguila 20 grain subsonic...It wouldn't function a semi-automatic, but was quiet even without a suppressor......Ben
    I thought I ordered a couple of boxes of the Aguila SSS Sniper Sub-sonic ammo. I must have missed it when ordering. That omission is now corrected.

I already have most of a brick of the powderless Aguila stuff. It works well in my Henry lever action. I'll test it in the 10/22 but like you said, I doubt it will cycle.

I use subsonic stuff in my match target pistol and it cycles fine. Maybe slightly more delicate than the 10-22 but close still.

Tell us about cleaning that thing too.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I just got an email stating ATF has cashed the check.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I just got an email stating ATF has cashed the check.
    And the wait is ON. Keep us posted when it comes in and you get to shoot it at the FFL.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

The gun store called this morning and said they had my tax stamp already! That is about 5 months early. I totally did not expect it any time soon because I figured the virus would slow things down at ATF. Wrong! ATF pulled its field audit agents off the street and put them to work processing NFA applications.

So, I picked up the suppressor and tried it out with a few rounds in the back yard. First I tried some Aguila Super Colibri 20 grain powderless ammo. As expected, they will not eject or cycle the action at all. Even manually cycling the action resulted in empty hulls stuck in the action.

Next, I tried a high velocity Remington 40 grain round. Only one because I'm sure the sonic crack alerted the entire neighborhood.

Then I moved on to an Aguila 60 grain Sniper Subsonic round. It was not bad, about as loud as a CO2 pellet gun. Ejections were not reliable.

Then the Aguila 40 grain Subsonic Solid Point. Very quiet! It just made a "poof"! I went inside the house and stood at a single pane window to see how it sounded from about 8 feet away. It didn't sound. All I noticed was a puff of smoke. That's how quiet it is. Less noise than a spring or CO2 pellet gun. Ejection problems persisted.

Finally, I tried the CCI Quiet 22 40 grain. The noise level was similar to the Aguila Subsonic Solid Point. Still have the ejection problems.

I think the ejection problems can be easily fixed because they are not too bad and this is a brand new gun with less than 50 rounds fired. I'll start by cleaning and polishing the inards. If that doesn't work, I'll buy a spring kit.

Noise wise, I'm an extremely happy camper. Mechanically, I have a bit of work to do.

I'll post again after I get it back to the farm where shooting is more acceptable. I'll also use the decibel meter then.

The 10-22 is one of the simplest guns anywhere to work on...Even a simpleton like me built a few of them...Think Volquartsen when you order parts...I assume your assistant was more than willing to help you in your tests......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    ...I assume your assistant was more than willing to help you in your tests......Ben
    Yup, and she really loves the Glock 44. Shoots the heck out of it at the farm. She also likes shooting the AR-15 I converted to .22LR. it shoots great with no ejection problems.