Thread: And Now the Really Big Coal Plants Begin to Close

And Now the Really Big Coal Plants Begin to Close

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...egin-to-close/

When the Navajo Generating Station in Arizona shuts down later this year, it will be one of the largest carbon emitters to ever close in American history.

The giant coal plant on Arizona’s high desert emitted almost 135 million metric tons of carbon dioxide between 2010 and 2017, according to an E&E News review of federal figures.

Its average annual emissions over that period are roughly equivalent to what 3.3 million passenger cars would pump into the atmosphere in a single year. Of all the coal plants to be retired in the United States in recent years, none has emitted more.

The Navajo Generating Station isn’t alone. It’s among a new wave of super-polluters headed for the scrap heap. Bruce Mansfield, a massive coal plant in Pennsylvania, emitted nearly 123 million tons between 2010 and 2017. It, too, will be retired by year’s end (Energywire, Aug. 12).

And in western Kentucky, the Paradise plant emitted some 102 million tons of carbon over that period. The Tennessee Valley Authority closed two of Paradise’s three units in 2017. It will close the last one next year (Greenwire, Feb. 14).

“It’s just the economics keep moving in a direction that favors natural gas and renewables. Five years ago, it was about the older coal plants becoming uneconomic,” said Dan Bakal, senior director of electric power at Ceres, which works with businesses to transition to clean energy. “Now, it’s becoming about every coal unit, and it’s a question of how long they can survive.”
    Just seems that Trump was claiming all those coal jobs a few years back.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

We once had someone here that bought into the trump lies regarding the return of coal and would not allow anything to be said against coal----the reality is that trump can't stop the slide, it is being driven by cost, and cost is a hard mistress.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    If it because of cost that makes sense.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Rightwing View Post
    If it because of cost that makes sense.
    Do a search here Billy---I have explained it in detail multiple times.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That's the coal plant at my lake. It's going to be a game changer. Page will have to shift to a tourist based economy and I'm not looking forward to that. Kayenta will shrivel up and die. It has no other economy other that the coal mine and train.

I always hated turning the corner out of the narrows and seeing the stacks belching the pollutants on the way home to the marina but also knew it employed a lot of people that would otherwise have no opportunities.

The Navajo tribe as a whole will suffer, not just the communities around Page. Many years ago the coal royalties were a substantial source of the tribes revenues. Since then they have even acquired the coal mine near Farmington from BHP (the plant is APS). In case the article fails to mention it the Navajo Generating Station is owned by Salt River Project - yup, a quasi-governmental entity.

By the way this is VERY old news.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.