Thread: RIP Okjokull

RIP Okjokull

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It will be interesting to see how my Conservative friends view this one.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

By looking at both sides and hoping upon hope that this would not be such a gleeful political issue.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...ier-is-growing
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

While warming most likely had something to do with the demise, I also wonder if thermal heating had anything to do with it.

Iceland is noted for its volcanic activities.

If by some chance man had anything to do with climate change the first thing we'd need to do is get rid of about five billion people. That alone will raise temps five degrees and think of the nitrates and other pollutants a trillion pounds of dead organic material will create.
    There have been at least five major ice ages in the Earth's history (the Huronian, Cryogenian, Andean-Saharan, late Paleozoic, and the latest Quaternary Ice Age). Outside these ages, the Earth seems to have been ice-free even in high latitudes.
    If we started building desalination plants on every spot available we could pump all the freshwater inland, refill our lakes, create forests in the deserts all while dropping ocean levels. That makes a lot more sence than 90% of the crap I hear about MAN changing the world's climate by using twice the energy and water to build electric cars.
    This is your mind on drugs!

I have noted before that my cabin at 9000' sits on an ancient seabed and where I am currently trying not break an ankle in Arizona is a large alluvial deposit on the highest ground in the region. I blame plate tectonics but it wouldnt be hard to convince me that the entire planet was covered with water eons ago. The world is a violent place of constant change.

But to the topic, The facts seem to indicate that greenhouse gasses as a % of the atmosphere are increasing and the increase is accelerating. Whether that is casued by humans polluting our world I'm not sure but I wish we would stop it anyway.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Once again, our members address a serious topic with well thought-out responses. I missed this while I was gone.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Not to worry it'll cause the sea to rise some before this is all over. Then the process will start again. Just a cycle in nature.

To what extent man has had a hand in that's what the debate is all about. I think we have had a great deal to do with it happening faster than we want to admit.

I suspect I will not be here long enough to see the next cycle begin.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Not to worry it'll cause the sea to rise some before this is all over. Then the process will start again. Just a cycle in nature.

To what extent man has had a hand in that's what the debate is all about. I think we have had a great deal to do with it happening faster than we want to admit.

I suspect I will not be here long enough to see the next cycle begin.
    Damn, Fred! I agree with almost everything you just said! Who would have thunk it? The only change I'd make is to place more emphasis on the natural cycle and less emphasis on our hand in it.

The truth be known, no one can say for certain what is going on with the climate. All any of us can do is to make our best guess based on history, science and intuition.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I recently listened to a piece (I think on NPR) about Miami real estate. At the current rate of water level rising---without intervention ie Holland, if one were to buy a property in Miami now with a 30 year mortage---at the end the mortgage would be paid but the property would be under water
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Wow if you take a average house the apex would be 20-30 feet or more. To be completely underwater in 30 years is a dismal forecast. Not sure I buy that one.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I saw some real estate show the other day saying that all new builds from sidewalks to skyscrapers are starting 18" to 3' foot higher then the grade called for on the plans. 30' foot of rising water in thirty years.... I don't think so. I'd say the article Dave read probably didn't mean to say completely underwater. Either way, it doesn't look like good investment property

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    I saw some real estate show the other day saying that all new builds from sidewalks to skyscrapers are starting 18" to 3' foot higher then the grade called for on the plans. 30' foot of rising water in thirty years.... I don't think so. I'd say the article Dave read probably didn't mean to say completely underwater. Either way, it doesn't look like good investment property
    They were talking about the land (property) not the roof!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    They were talking about the land (property) not the roof!
    That's what I was saying Dave, I knew you didn't mean over the roof type stuff. I just don't word things very well.