Thread: Magnum Fever......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs down Magnum Fever......

With my "once in a lifetime" elk hunt just a month away, it is time for my beatings to begin.

The nature of the country will present shot distances that will test anyones ethical standards. So like most I'm compelled to drag out a magnum that shoots farther than any of us should; in my case my trusty 7mm STW. The old saw about killing on one end and crippling on the other comes to mind.

I have been around the 7stw since it was still a wildcat. I have had mine for maybe 20 years? Anyway, here she is in a lineup with the 7-08 (a very polite round for us older folks), the 25-06 (my favorite round for deer sized critters and fast and accurate), and the 7 stw (80 grains of powder in each shot). Sigh.

First world problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	493.9 KB 
ID:	37013  

"Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Better you than me pal

I have messed around with a few of those "killers" and find no fun in that at all.

A friend of mine, who is a Weatherby nut----and I mean nut----could not believe that I was going to go moose hunting with my beloved 7 mm Rem Mag. Not enough gun! Not enough bullet weight----you CANNOT kill an animal of that size with that damn thing.

Good thing that moose didn't hear that council or he might have tried taking at least one step

Just for giggles---I have yet---after 45+ years to recover one bullet---they either go out the other side or blow up. In the case of the moose, the bullet entered at the base of the chest, centered left to right and went up to his spine and disintegrated. (he was standing far above me and head on)

Did I mention that I'm a wuss
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

When I was a younger man I would take it out to shoot targets. But now that I'm older and the shoulder isn't what it used to be and the cost has gone $$$. I'll just look at it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300 H&H Magnum.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	37014  

Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

I used to do a lot of custom reloading for various people and I had dies for those "elephant guns"---so I would load them---but that wasn't enough for many in that crowd and they would bring me their gun so I could work up loads---and set-up their rifles while I was at it. I ended that a long time ago----fellow, if you want a gun like that you need to be comfortable shooting it-----you are on your own---I'll load em---you shoot em
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My STW is no fun at all to shoot - but it shoots remarkably well. I have a 300 WM with a muzzle brake that I shot for years (probably why I dont hear so good - but that could be the 500,000 trap targets too) and its pretty tame by comparison. No brake on this guy - I dont like the blast. So I suffer through the recoil. Oh, and I broke my right collar bone about 10 years ago (on a honda 50 if you must know, no there is no video) so that feels good also.

Hey blue, I have your guns big brudder. If I was in the thick stuff the 375 might get the nod.

I always wanted a 257 wby. But a 25-06 AI does damn near the same thing with a lot less. Now I want a 280 AI.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

What ever you take----good luck

....and if you are like me---I have never felt recoil when hunting

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    Hey blue, I have your guns big brudder. If I was in the thick stuff the 375 might get the nod.
    Going elephant hunting soon?
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson