Thread: Interesting Opinion From Former Judge Napolitano

Interesting Opinion From Former Judge Napolitano

I don't really know anything about the author other than seeing his name fairly frequently in several different news reports.

Last weekend’s mass murders in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, have produced a flood of words about everything from gun control to mental illness to white nationalism. Most of those words have addressed the right to keep and bear arms as if it were a gift from the government. It isn’t.

The U.S. Supreme Court has twice ruled in the past 11 years that the right to keep and bear arms is an individual pre-political liberty. That is the highest category of liberty recognized in the law. It is akin to the freedoms of thought, speech and personality. That means that the court has recognized that the framers did not bestow this right upon us. Rather, they recognized its pre-existence as an extension of our natural human right to self-defense and they forbade government — state and federal — from infringing upon it.
    If that clip got your attention, Here is the rest of the story.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

It would be exquisitely unfair, profoundly unconstitutional and historically un-American for the rights of law-abiding folks — “surrender that rifle you own legally and use safely because some other folks have used that same type of weapon criminally” — to be impaired in the name of public safety.
    That brings up a thought I've often had concerning the 2A...The "right to keep" implies for me the responsibility to maintain in good order and store safely those arms that they might be borne readily in a time of need for self, family or nation...Neglecting the duty to keep might erase the right to bear, in my opinion......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

At this point in the game this is all going to end up being decided by the Supreme Court. Legislation is on its way.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    At this point in the game this is all going to end up being decided by the Supreme Court.
    Yes - I agree.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead