We have four grandchildren ranging from soon to be 15---and down in two year increments.

All are uber involved in sports and music. The oldest girl (15) plays in two bands, in one the piano, the second violin, plays softball on a travel team and volunteers at the local nursing home, and maintains a 3.8 GPA. It goes on all the way down to the soon to be nine year old---who plays soccer both spring and fall.

Their parents are divorced and have equal and shared custody. My wife goes to Md every other week and stays with them----and provides cab service to all these activities. I usually check in with her between 7 and 8 in the evenings---she most often is at someone's practice or running between practices. That is further exasperated by the fact that our son and his "girl friend" don't get home from work until about 7.

This week she is hoping to bring the kids up here for part of the week and mwhen I get home we are planning on taking them to the Mennonite Information Center to learn more about their heritage and to the Henry Antes house for the annual reenactment days. This has particular interest to us since my parents were much involved in the purchase and protection of this property and our family homestead, which predates the Antes house, is less than a mile away. Without a doubt, my family would have known Henry Antes.

Now we find that might not be possible---the 11 year old girl might have try outs for the fall softball travel team

Now the whine begins---I think, all of what I consider uber involvement is detrimental to the family unit. They seldom eat together, these sports and school activities are disrespectful of church---and in fact often take place on Sunday mornings Skip a practice or game---think again---the coaches will make examples of them by not allowing them to play or even tossing them from the team---and for parent or guardian---shut your mouth or the same will happen to the child.

I recall taking the now 11 year old to a 5 PM on Friday practice---which she had to be there or not be able to participate in the meet on Saturday

This meets the definition of insanity---and I believe detrimental to the family----but try saying no to any of them---they think this is the way it is supposed to be!