Thread: Badges?...We don't need no stinkin' badges!...

Badges?...We don't need no stinkin' badges!...

One of the latest detailing trends is to debadge, or remove the factory emblems from the painted surfaces of a car or truck...Since I am a traditionalist at heart, and never really liked the corporate change of name from Dodge to Ram for their trucks, and since I really don't like the large, garish emblems on my truck proclaiming it to be a "RAM Heavy Duty 3500" I decided the time had come for a change...YouTube is full of videos showing how pros and amateurs both get the emblems off, then remove the adhesive from the paint, then remove the ghost lettering that the adhesive leaves on the paint...Some like to use dental floss to saw through the adhesive, some like fishing line...

I used monofilament fishing line at first on my old Dodge flatbed...Be sure to wear gloves to save your hands...It cut through the adhesive, but when I stopped momentarily it welded itself to the adhesive...Starting over the line broke easily...So I decided to use one videoer's pliers method...The badge had raised edges perpendicular to the painted surface allowing me to get a good grip with the pliers while staying away from the paint...I rocked them back and forth slowly and gently pulling away from the paint until the badge started to pull away...From there it was easy to just keep pulling and rocking until it popped free...One of my badges had beveled edges which did not allow a grip with the pliers...I then got a thin bladed screwdriver, and using one of the old plastic badges as a fulcrum against the paint, I carefully used the screwdriver against the badge to pry a corner loose...Then I used a double wrap of fishing line to get behind the badge at that corner, then slowly rocking back and forth and pulling away from the paint, it came right off...

The hard part for me was getting the adhesive off the paint...It had been baking in the sun for ten years...Goo Gone was worthless...I used an old credit card for a scraper which would have worked fine if I had a few extra days to put into each badge...At that point I went shopping for a 3M Eraser Wheel...Big box stores and most hardware stores do not stock them...I went to a wholesale paint distributor that mixes automotive paint for body shops, and bought one off the shelf for less money than I could find online...At the same place, I bought a can of 3M automotive adhesive solvent (much better for this purpose than Goo Gone)...I used the wheel (I bought one with an arbor, they are sold either way) on my DeWalt cordless drill, and had a large area of adhesive on my door cleaned off in 20 minutes...The 3M adhesive solvent cleaned up the residue on a cloth...Turtle Polishing Compound took the ghost letters right off effortlessly...As a bonus, I tried the wheel on ancient, dried-up tree sap, and working carefully it came off too...

The methods shown in the videos probably work well for newer vehicles, but for ten year old sun-baked adhesive, the 3M Eraser Wheel is the way to go...There are also cheaper wheels available, but I was advised they wear down quicker...I found new badges to put on proclaiming my truck to be a Dodge Diesel, not no stinkin' Ram...I even found one for the new grille I ordered that has the original factory artwork from 1914 printed "Dodge Brothers Motor Vehicles"...Now back to work under this merciless sun...Five minute work shift; 20 minute rest and water break......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I admit to de-badging several vehicles when younger. No longer, it can possibly hurt re-sale efforts. Frankly, I want to make as much as I can on a sale. Yes, I am driven by money - it's especially something I enjoy doing with vehicles.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I don't recall ever making a nickel on anything I drive...I just like it the way I like it...I got 15 years out of my first Dodge/Cummins, I hope to get the same out of this one...But this one already had 10 years and 145,000 miles on the clock when I got it......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

It might not be new Ben, but it is a damn good looking truck!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

My truck... 2006 F 250 6.DOH.. 190K miles.. Never been modified other than airbags and a CTS (no tuner)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ready for powell II.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	36994  

Last edited by Phillbo; 07-20-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It might not be new Ben, but it is a damn good looking truck!
    Thanks, Mike!...All the badges came off yesterday without leaving a scratch...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    My truck... 2006 F 250 6.DOH.. 190K miles.. Never been modified other than airbags and a GTS (no tuner)...
    As long as it does everything you want it to, Bo, and you like it, why modify anything?...I always thought that grille style was the best looking one Ford has had in recent years......Ben

Well done, Ben.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Well done, Ben.

Hunter
    Thanks, Hunter...I'm writing a new update article to include my method...Pics also......Ben

Looking forward to seeing it, Ben.

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Looking forward to seeing it, Ben.

Hunter
    As you know, the links are in the sigline at the bottom of any email I ever sent you...I put the new emblems on today...I've got a few more goodies to install before I publish the new article...All the other articles and updates are still there though...Here's a preview......Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9353.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	36996

Isn't that a bit of false advertising? Was thinking the other day, I do that on occasion. MY first truck I ordered I owned for 30 years the second for 16 years, damn Honda. So this one is my last.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Looking good, Ben.

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    Isn't that a bit of false advertising?
    It's a Dodge, and it's a diesel...Nothing false there by cracky!......Ben

The "Diesel" badge looks like a ford power stroke badge...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    The "Diesel" badge looks like a ford power stroke badge...
    I have no idea what it was originally for...I just like it no matter who orphaned it......Ben