Thread: For our vets

For our vets

I came home last night to meet today with the local funeral director to plan my (and my wife's) funerals. I was surprised to find out that there are a few bennies afforded vets who served in war time---but you need a copy of your DD214 and Form 825B. If you do not have them it would be wise to apply for them. I am going to email copies to the funeral home and they will have them on file.

Among the bennies: An American Flag used to cover the casket (ours will be rented), the flag is retained by the family. A cash stipend of a few hundred dollars, an "honor guard" provided by your branch of service and up to 10 death certificates (which cost $20 ea in PA), and a grave marker---which I don't know what we will do with that since we have not intended to have grave stones.

Both my wife and I will be cremated and our ashes taken to our private family cemetery (dating back to about 1740), which is what we did with my parents.

There is no reason to burden our children with all those details.

Just for the record---I'm not planning on using those bennies anytime soon
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Even doing something as simple as the recent service we had for my wife is amazingly complicated if you "do it yourself" as opposed to having a funeral home handle everything. We chose to go the cremation route and found a place that handles that and that alone if that is what you want. I then found an incredible minister to guide us and perform the service and who also let us hold the reception in the community area of his church. He refused to discuss a price saying he and his church were there to serve the community. I made two sizable donations, one to the minister and one to the church.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I don't know what an 825B is, but I reckon I'll have to find out...I've got a few copies of my DD214 already...Dave, is it necessary to have served in a combat zone?...I did a lot of fighting in the bars of Western Europe, but unless Cold War service counts, I may not qualify...Vietnam was half a world away...

Mike, I was very impressed with the simplicity and dignity of Debbie's service...I liked the photo montage that was on auto repeat also...I even saw a picture of her bravely standing with some old derelict whom many say looks a lot like me...She was merely distracting him until the authorities could arrive to haul him away...

I told my nephews I just want a grave in the National Cemetery with nothing extra that might cost money...If they can just wrap me in a GI blanket, and throw six feet of dirt in my face, I'll be happy......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

My Dad got all of those benefits when he died. He served during the Korean war. He was a Master Sergeant in the USAF upon separation.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I have the flag from my Grandpa's casket. It was presented to me at the request of my Grandma grave side... I will always cherish it.

Me, I want my ashes to be sent down the slide of a houseboat in Padre Bay with my friends having a good time!!!

The wife and I will spend eternity with thousands of heroes in a nitch in Arlington.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    The wife and I will spend eternity with thousands of heroes in a nitch in Arlington.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I don't know what an 825B is, but I reckon I'll have to find out...I've got a few copies of my DD214 already...Dave, is it necessary to have served in a combat zone?...I did a lot of fighting in the bars of Western Europe, but unless Cold War service counts, I may not qualify...Vietnam was half a world away...
    My 825B---which is my discharge document---came to me with my DD214 (thanks to you!). I don't recall ever having seen it before but I am sure that I did, it was sent to my address in college and documents the type of discharge. As for being in a war zone, I did not question that but based on how she said it I don't believe so.

We both want a simple service but are somewhat constrained by the rules of the church which we freely accept. One rule that I think we will end up violating is that the Catholic Church only allowed cremation in the last few years but they do not "allow" scattering of the ashes--they want you to be buried in the ground. It need not be in a church cemetery. In our case, burial would be iffy, not all the graves still have markers on them (or may not have had one to begin with) and I'd hate to drop in on someone unannounced. The funeral director told us that if we simply dig a hole 12" deep and drop the box in we meet the criteria--so I guess that is what we will do.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Google doesn't give me anything conclusive about 825B...If it's my Honorable Discharge certificate, that was conveniently stolen along with my music collection and all the good furniture when my ex-wife flew the coop...It's my intention to go ahead and register with the VA for medical benefits soon, and I can ask there about it......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Mine just showed up along with my DD214. It looks more like a toe tag than a form

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Mine just showed up along with my DD214. It looks more like a toe tag than a form
    An ominous sign indeed......Ben