Thread: Finally feeling like being here again.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Finally feeling like being here again.

Had my other knee replaced so am finally able to sit at the computer again. Tablet didn't do much for me during the rehab.

I see the usual stuff has been going on so I don't think I've missed much.

Anyway am now transitioning to my walking stick from the walker. Best feeling is able to flex either knee without much pain (still have some from the last operation). Now all I got to do is start walking more and riding my bike again. The bike's a recumbent inside the house as AZ temps get to be warm this time of year.

Best of all was the price since insurance picked up the most. Think I could of gotten two of Hunters cars for what they charged the insurance. Still think there's a lot wrong with medical insurance prices but I can live with the amount I had to pay.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Welcome back, Fred...I keep my walking stick handy too...I fell and wrenched my left knee and ankle a few weeks ago, and couldn't walk without it for a while...I'm glad your insurance kicked in for you......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Keep on walkin Fred
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I think I saw Fred walk by just the other day. Snapped a picture.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Tell me more Fred. I just got home from the hospital . My bride of 51 years just had a knee replaced. Dr. said she would be in hospital for the weekend then to a rehab facility for 5 - 7 days. Her biggest problem is her Rehumatoid Arthritis. which has caused severe joint problems throughout her body.

Sorry for not getting back earlier. Rehab give one an idea for doing the proper exercise for rehabing the knee.

It usually takes 1-2 months or longer to get full use of the knee again. Best thing to do is the pulling back on the foot as it bends the knee closer to 90 degrees. One strive to get that back to 120 degrees for full bending.

Walking with either a walker or crutches is used until one gets used to walking with a cane and then finally not needing any of those. The hard part of most of this is that they move the muscles and nerves around and that where the pain is. The knee connection to the bone one should not have any pain associated with that. It's the pain one get when moving the knee is from the muscles/ nerves so I would do the exercises and then spend hours with an ice bag on the knee joint.

Just the last few days I finally got rid of the walker and am using my walking stick. That took about a month for me, others more or less. Now I'm walking ok and each day gets better. Told my PT person walking is strange since I feel I'm walking off to one side and my head keeps looking down. That slowly changes and then one just walks normally.

Best thing after doing some of the exercises one finally gets on a bike and that the best one I would recommend. It's tough to do until one can get the knee to bend enough usually 110 degrees or so. It all gets easier.

As for pain meds I use those only for when I go to PT and then usually just half a pill. Usually 2 Tylenol works for me twice a day. other get hooked on the drugs and so I would recommend getting off them as soon as possible.

It's been a month and a day since the knee surgery and I been thru times of laying on the couch napping all the time to getting back to a somewhat normal day. Right now I back in the store for the first time since the surgery. Some pain when sitting for a time but walking around tends to break that up.

Lastly follow her dr's advice.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'