Thread: Tarrifs, Economics, and evolution in the steel industry

Tarrifs, Economics, and evolution in the steel industry

Just like in power generation Older technologies will fall by the wayside

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...el-5-5-billion
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Yep, keep up with technology or go out of business. Cable TV is next.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

US Steel and Nucor were MBA case studies 20 years ago. Nucor was the fresh new up and comer, and US Steel was dead just like Sears. BTW, these were international case studies. I'm surprised legacy costs (pensions) weren't mentioned in the first paragraph.

Regardless, I only sorta support tarrifs specifically in response to subsidies. That used to be the case in steel but I don't know these days. The problem is that nearly every industry enjoys government intervention these days.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I think that is one of the poorer articles I have seen in Bloomberg. Comparing an EAF to a blast Furnace is like comparing apples to nuts---they don't make the same product. You cannot convert iron ore to iron in a EAF and that is what is being done in a blast furnace.

As for the Steel Workers and that impact----don't get me started but just for the record---the unions did not get anything that the companies didn't agree to

Tariffs to counter government subsides, as is happening in China is one thing, tariffs to protect poor business practices are another---knowing one from the other isn't part of the current equation.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis