Thread: The aftermath of Charlottesville

The aftermath of Charlottesville

From this morning's WSJ:

An Ohio man who killed one person and injured dozens of others when he accelerated his car into a crowd of counterprotesters at a 2017 white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va., was sentenced to life in prison Friday.

A federal judge sentenced James Alex Fields Jr., an avowed neo-Nazi with a history of racism and anti-Semitism, on federal hate-crime charges. The sentencing came nearly two years after Mr. Fields’ attack killed Heather Heyer, a 32-year-old paralegal who was demonstrating against the hundreds of white nationalists who took to the streets that day.

The incident, which federal prosectors have called an act of domestic terrorism, followed violent clashes that erupted at the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Va., in August 2017, and marked a nationwide flashpoint in the rise of white supremacy in the U.S.
    “Hatred and bigotry have no place in our nation,” said Eric Dreiband, assistant attorney general for the Department of Justice Civil Rights Division, in a statement after the sentencing. “Violent actions inspired by such warped thinking are a disgrace to our people and our values, and the Department of Justice will not tolerate such depraved acts.”

Earlier this year, Mr. Fields, 22 years old, pleaded guilty to 29 federal hate crimes—each one carrying a maximum sentence of life in prison and representing those he killed or injured when he accelerated his Dodge Challenger into the crowd. A plea deal took the death penalty off the table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	36962  

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm pleased to see some resolution in this awful case. Harming others because of one's personal politics is against the very fabric of our society. It cannot stand.

I've had the pleasure of meeting 3 members of this site. Our members are outstanding..

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

It's too bad we can't take them out first, but we can't. Even if we could it would be used in a political fashion instead of a way to stop the violence.
    The sound members of our government should be able do something without it turning into a racist nightmare but I personally don't have clue any either. There just aren't any short cuts, it's going to be up to the people, we are the ones that need to work harder.
    This is your mind on drugs!