Thread: This is why you jump out....

This is why you jump out....

"Hawaii skydiving plane accident investigation shifts focus to 'quality' of repairs made following 2016 crash"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/ntsb-inves...aii-killing-11

The King Air is sensitive to stalling if too many people are at the door when the pilot cuts power on jump run. In 2016 this one was involved in an "Incident" not a crash in Byron Ca and was badly damaged -including right horizontal stabilizer being ripped completely off during an over stressed recovery from a stall spin. All jumpers got out and the pilot was able to land the plane. It was repaired and sold to the HI operations.

I traded emails with a buddy that works at the DZ and he told me "I was onsite and spotted the plane just before the crash. It had just taken off. When I spotted it it was inverted and diving toward the ground. Unfortunately I was too far away to notice details like whether there was damage to control surfaces or the condition of the two engines."

Too me it sounds more like a single engine failure and it rolled into the dead engine while trying to return back to the field. They obviously never made an altitude that the pilot would issue and order to exit. The procedure is sitting down with seat belts and helmets on until 1200' then unbuckle and chill. If ordered out at less than 2000' go straight to your reserve (My hard deck is more like 3000'- I'll pay for the repack of my reserve but i want something that will open fast). They did not have that chance.

BSBD

Attached is a picture of the plane after the stall damage:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	king Air.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	36956  

Last edited by Phillbo; 06-26-2019 at 11:25 AM.

It crashed almost immediately after takeoff. Would they have had time to jump and shutes deploy?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

No... Anything less than 1200' you ride the plane to the scene of the crash. I'm surprised he did not ditch it in the water. All hell must have broke lose.

Engine failure? I will buy that only as a result of pilot error. Im not a pilot but I have a zillion miles in the right seat of a B-200......

I'm speculating the stabilizer. That explains the loss of control. If I remember correctly the surface controls seemed a little old school - at least on our old plane. Think cables and pulleys....I'm exagerating a little.

King Air's are "robust". It takes alot to knock one out of the sky.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I've never been a fan of the King Air as a jump plane. I do like the climb rate but the interior and door are just too small for me. I'm always nervous when moving around inside and make sure to get a pin check close to the door just in case I knocked it loose while maneuvering into position.

If you lose one engine during climb out and still have a dirty platform (gear and flaps down) they have a tendency to roll into the dead engine. Stall, roll inverted and crash.
    Last edited by Phillbo; 06-26-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Friends, and my wife, have tried for years to get me to jump out of a plane. After reading threads like this, no way.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Friends, and my wife, have tried for years to get me to jump out of a plane.
    I avoid women who ask me to step into thin air from great heights......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Friends, and my wife, have tried for years to get me to jump out of a plane. After reading threads like this, no way.

Hunter
    This is no different that any other general aviation flight. Skydiving had nothing to do with the crash. They never got the chance to skydive.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I avoid women who ask me to step into thin air from great heights......Ben
    If you want to swim you have to get out of the boat.... If you want to fly you have to get out of the plane

Aw shucks Phillbro, you know that the jump planes are the last stop before the graveyard.

After the pressure vessel has reached its life cycle, KA’s usually go to air ambulances or jump planes. Engines and airframe are inspected regularly by law. I am sure there are engine failures but I have never heard of one. A king air will climb on one engine. I wouldn’t jump out of one because of how fast they go. That and the whole jumping out part.

Im going to jump off a rock in fossil creek tomorrow. Close as you will see me come to jumping out of a plane.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.