Thread: Should Our Finest be Used to Paint the Wall?

Should Our Finest be Used to Paint the Wall?

This is an outstanding use of our men and women in uniform. NOT!

I cannot begin to voice my disgust for this assignment. Our men and women in the military did not sign up for this! It is demeaning and a waste of their time.

Does anyone think maybe I'm pissed!

Washington — Active-duty members of the military deployed near the U.S.-Mexico border have been assigned to spend a month painting a mile-long stretch of barriers to improve their "aesthetic appearance."
    Source
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

That - is disgraceful...And what the Hell is "anti-climb" paint?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Hell no, thats a job for illegal mexicans..

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Hell no, thats a job for illegal mexicans..
    Bet it would cost less with them painting it also.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    That - is disgraceful...And what the Hell is "anti-climb" paint?......Ben
    High gloss epoxy?
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    High gloss epoxy?
    Teflon?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Coarsely ground glass mixed with epoxy.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Disgusting
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Now if they were to be trained and used to replace failing small bridges I be in favor of that.

Train 5-6 companies in bridge building work and with the Corp of Engineers designing bridges of under a certain size (say 30 ft or so) I wouldn't be opposed if our troops were used to replace those county road small bridges. Of course that would take planing and co-operation of the counties/states that would like to take advantage of this program. Benefits as I see them is training troops on heavy equipment, field deployment of said troops and all the associated members of staff (cooks, clerks, etc.). Best thing is if they could rotate members to different aspects of the job, it may get them interested in future jobs in a similar field(s).
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I'd have a real problem if the military were in competition with regular companies. Not to mention the conflict with the Davis-Bacon Act.

We already have a similar conflict with prison labor and prisons bidding on public jobs--like school furniture.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

No problem in Crazyfornia Dave, the prison labor will be sitting in the jury box deciding the fate of one of their peers. Unions do not have to worry.