Thread: New set-ups

New set-ups

I never rushed into Windows 10 world and now had little choice. While doing that upgrade from windows 7 I got all new hardware. PC is an OptiPlex 7070 with dual 24 " monitors and the laptop is a very high end Dell---but I don't even see a model on it

I have to get ready for a meeting tonight but over the weekend I'll try to take a picture of it my new "desk top"
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Very cool...My new one undergoes a filectomy tomorrow......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Not ready for pictures, I have a lot to do in the area of wire management

I was talking to my son last night and remarked about the relative ease of the "moving in" process compared to 20 years ago when it was a burdensome project. One thing that helps is that most of my software exits in the cloud, there are no discs to upload and the re-registration to go through. My IT guy simply pulled the HDs out of my former computers, connected them to the new "host" and transferred all the files. That in itself used to be an arduous task.

Where I have encountered unexpected issues are the incidental things--like, my email signature in Outlook did not transfer. I also lost my Amazon Music Player---and that cost me at least 30 minutes. It becomes a bit more time consuming since when I get something figured out on the "big guy" I have to repeat it on the Laptop. I also have to admit that when doing anything new I suffer from a serious disease, "sidetrackitest"---but I learn a lot!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My new one is at home and totally useless...It can't find any internet connections...The DVD tray won't open so I can't load any of my former programs...And I still have no sound...Hmmm, maybe it's me...Maybe I went deaf and nobody told me...

The only way I'm typing this is the new-to-me tablet provided by a generous grant from the Mike Hardin Fund For Impoverished Ex-Gundealers......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I'm glad you got it up and running..........
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm glad you got it up and running..........
    I may not be real happy when I make the call Monday...But in the meantime I'm not completely crippled either thanks to you......Ben

That's a bummer Ben---I hope the tide changes soon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    That's a bummer Ben---I hope the tide changes soon
    Well, it was unexpected, but that's just one of life's difficulties......Ben

In the meantime, I have to struggle with my poor knowledge of "tablets"...I've never even seen one before, and now I'm using one...When I type it has an auto-correct thing that doesn't want me to say what I want...And it has a built-in nanny that somehow won't let me into some sites saying there's no "secure connection," and I can't seem to find a way around that......Ben

But on the plus side, it's great to be able to watch my truck videos with sound...Before if I needed to hear a powerful, smooth running diesel' I had.to go drive my own truck...YouTube is cheaper......Ben

My IT guy just left--again. I failed to answer a question yesterday correctly and the result was that he had not transferred the files on my old lap top to the new one---my fault not his. I would have been in a pinch this week had I not found it.

He took the back off my old laptop, pulled the drive, plugged it into the new one and within minutes was done. The entire process including the RandR of the drive took no more than 20 minutes---very cool