Thread: Asylum Seekers

Asylum Seekers

I was thinking about the current issues on the southern borders with the crunch of people requesting asylum. Why not input a policy where they are required to request asylum while still in their home country? That way they could be denied access to the US if their request was denied or granted access if approved.

I think this would stop them from making the journey unless the request was approved.

Thoughts...
    Last edited by Phillbo; 05-16-2019 at 04:34 PM.

That's good thinking for a Presidential candidate...But it makes too much sense to get past the political gauntlet to make it into law......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

You're going to have to tweak it a bit.

When seeking asylum, the applicant many times is in fear of his life due to persecution at home. By the very nature of the request of asylum, the person needs immediate relief. They cannot languish at home waiting for a bureaucracy to make a decision. That type of applicant needs a more immediate access to safety than those who are trying to better their economic positions.

U.S. asylum law applies to those who have a well-founded fear of persecution “on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.”
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

We'll never know how many fit that description since we are playing catch and release with them. I doubt many if any will ever appear again to be interviewed.

Maybe require them to start the process in a country other than home..