Thread: I quit...

I quit...

If you're going to say it, say it with style......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I quit every once and awhile too---and then my boss tells me to get back to work
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I wish I could quit... I've been laid off 3 times in the last 4 years...... Really getting tired of it. My plans of retiring at 60 and sailing away for a while have been shot to hell.

I feel for you Bo---when I got fired at 58 I was feeling a little shaky about the future as well. Things do have a tendency to work out.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

When they called me on January 6, 2018 after they had their say I explained to them that I was just waiting on Medicare that financially I could leave that day. I also told them I was meeting with a financial advisor to see my options. So in 2018 I got a dog, a house and a pontoon boat. So when they called me back in in March of this year, while they were going through their speal I was thinking of the thinks I need to do. Two week later I told them that April 17 would be my last day. My driver/manager just looked at me and I pointed to the screen with all the points for different videos.

Now I could see if I had wrecked a tractor or damaged a trailer or even ruined a load of freight but it was nothing like that. I had followed a car too close after it had cut into my lane and I did not apply the breaks. Or I stopped too fast for a red light. The one I liked was I had exceeded the number of lane departures. The could not even explain what that was.

I told them more than once in the last few years that I used to enjoy my job when I drove a truck but I hate video games.

Tomorrow I pick up a U-haul trailer and have to men coming to help load everything from my shed and head to Nebraska. Will be back in mid-July to get the fifth wheel and will come back in November to Quartzsite for the winter. Working on a plan where I can bring the boat back for the winter.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

I remember on particular employee who left. Her notice was running down the hall and crying. She never came back.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I remember a tire changer who worked, no make that "drew a paycheck" from me at Goodyear...He said he was quitting and asked how much notice I wanted...I told him, "I'll settle for a two-day notice...Just tell me you're quitting two-day"......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I remember a tire changer who worked, no make that "drew a paycheck" from me at Goodyear...He said he was quitting and asked how much notice I wanted...I told him, "I'll settle for a two-day notice...Just tell me you're quitting two-day"......Ben
    Now that is a good one. We do not accept notices anymore except from key people, everybody else is checked out the day they tell us. Works much better that way. They don't have two weeks to bitch and complain to the other employees as to why they are leaving.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

There have been times I would have loved to use that line Ben---but I try to be reserved.

I do not always allow 2 weeks notice--some are asked to leave immediately. That determination is both subjective and objective. The objective part is for people that are in a position to potentially harm the company, as in IT people, and those with unfettered access to the servers.

The subjective part is for those who I think can and may cooperate with competitors and/or spread ill will.

In both cases, they still receive two weeks severance pay.

I have to admit that I don't always get it right. I recently allowed a lead draftsman to stay on for two weeks and he did some serious damage to a number of software applications---all of which we recovered from but there was a few days of IT's time to repair.

I am also tempered by my own experience in being fired. I was treated with the utmost respect. I was given a NLT date by which they wanted me to leave and allowed me to select the exact date when that would be. In the intervening period I had unlimited ability to walk the plant floors and offices and say good-bye to the people who over 20 years I had grown fond of.

That was especially valuable to me since the normal policy was that for someone in my position I would have been immediately walked to the door and someone would pack up my stuff and leave it in the guard house the next day.

As an assurance policy for the company, I would have been extremely foolish to have been anything but professional--I would have put my severance at risk which included a year's salary and benefits.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 04-20-2019 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    There have been times I would have loved to use that line Ben---but I try to be reserved.
    I don't claim authorship on that line, but the opportunity to use it presented itself, and I couldn't help it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I am also tempered by my own experience in being fired.
    My experience in that regard goes back to my decision to sell my half of Shooter's Station to my two junior partners at the time...I told them I would come in every day for a month and work for nothing just to make sure the transition of ownership went smoothly, and old customers would know their patronage was appreciated...I continued for that month to make sales and trades, and at the end of that time I asked if I would be needed in a paid position...I was told "no," and handed in my keys...Suddenly anything associated with my participation in the business was removed from the public eye, and I noticed that in future news articles I was referred to only as an unnamed "employee"...

In the past year I introduced myself to the new new owner of the business and told him of certain points of interest of which he was unaware...I even gave him my copies of the original blueprints used in the construction of Shooter's Station, for which he was grateful...I also used all the old pictures I had to create a pictorial on one my blogs to illustrate the real history of the business...The new owner said he intends to use the original photos and blueprints I gave him to create a new history corner in the store for customers to browse...No response yet from my former partner on my blog pictorial...

That reminds me, I have PDF's of the blueprints which I intended to add to that article...I'll try to get that done today before I forget it again...[Edit: Done]......Ben