Thread: Utah's new sigline...

Utah's new sigline...

"Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals.” - Martin Luther King Jr.
    I like it, and it's one I haven't seen before...An expanded quote from his sermon entitled "A Tough Mind and a Tender Heart," is here:
    "There may be a conflict between softminded religionists and toughminded scientists, but not between science and religion. Their respective worlds are different and their methods are dissimilar. Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge which is power; religion gives man wisdom which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary."
    In another sermon entitled "Keep Moving From This Mountain," he said:
    "Through our scientific genius we made of the world a neighborhood, but we failed through moral commitment to make of it a brotherhood, and so we've ended up with guided missiles and misguided men. And the great challenge is to move out of the mountain of practical materialism and move on to another and higher mountain which recognizes somehow that we must live by and toward the basic ends of life. We must move on to that mountain which says in substance, 'What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world of means -- airplanes, televisions, electric lights -- and lose the end: the soul?'"
    We can be certain that Dr. King was using his position as a platform to advance his own beliefs, but that is what he was supposed to do...Regardless of whether I would have agreed with the destination to which he was trying to lead his followers, I agree with his stance that science and religion do not have to be at odds with each other, and can in many cases be a complement to each...Dr. King may have been a flawed human being as we all are, but his thinking could be clearly inspirational when he wanted it to be......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Excellent post sir
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Nice work, Ben. I think I need to pay attention better than I have been.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I think I need to pay attention better than I have been.
    If only somebody had advised me of that before I got married...Twice......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Possibly your problem Ben, was that you were at attention---in a matter of speaking
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Possibly your problem Ben, was that you were at attention---in a matter of speaking
    I didn't think it was that noticeable......Ben