Thread: this is awesome science

this is awesome science

thinking outside the box at an extremely high level. It also requires a very high level of education to even comprehend what they just did.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47969367

US scientists say they used HIV to make a gene therapy that cured eight infants of severe combined immunodeficiency, or "bubble boy" disease.
    Results of the research, developed at a Tennessee hospital, were published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
    The babies, born with little to no immune protection, now have fully functional immune systems.
    Untreated babies with this disorder have to live in completely sterile conditions and tend to die as infants.
    The gene therapy involved collecting the babies' bone marrow and correcting the genetic defect in their DNA soon after their birth.

The "correct" gene - used to fix the defect - was inserted into an altered version of one of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
    Researchers said most of the babies were discharged from the hospital within one month.
    Dr Ewelina Mamcarz of St Jude, an author of the study, in a statement for the hospital: "These patients are toddlers now, who are responding to vaccinations and have immune systems to make all immune cells they need for protection from infections as they explore the world and live normal lives."
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Wow!...Using one deadly disease to kill another!...That is scientific news I can applaud wholeheartedly......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The innovations in medicine simply amaze me---it is impossible for me to even comprehend how or why the researches would decide to go in the direction they do.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I think in our lifetime we will see some truly amazing advancements.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    I think in our lifetime we will see some truly amazing advancements.
    I think I am living proof of that.
    The thing they did to my heart still stains my mind to get around it 9
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis