Thread: Hearkening back to the days of yore...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hearkening back to the days of yore...

I suddenly got the itch for another CB radio...It's been at least 40 years since I was "on the air" but I thought I'd see if anyone still uses them...Any recommendations on brands?...What features to look for, and what I don't need?...Any input helps......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Uniden, Cobra and Midland are all good brands. Most come full featured and they are very inexpensive these days. I live near a major interstate and occasionally listen to the chatter with my old Radio Shack base station that I have had since I was 17.......
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Uniden, Cobra and Midland are all good brands.
    Those are the three I was looking at on Amazon...I'll probably get a PA speaker in case I need to annoy anyone...Maybe an extra speaker to mount high in the cab instead of the little tinny-sounding one that I remember coming with the radios...My last one had twin antennas mounted on the outside edges of the truck bed...They seemed to work fine......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Back in my CBing days only the rich kids had cobra's. As far as antenna's as I recall it is really import to get your SWR reading perfect or it diminishes your transmission power.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

This one seems to have decent features, including the SWR meter you mentioned...I'll need to remember to get spring mounts for the fiberglass antennas......Ben

That looks like a nice unit. You might want to consider getting one that will also work as a base in the event you wanted to have it inside.