Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hearkening back to the days of yore...

Did your stuff come in? Have you installed it yet?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Don't get so antsy...The radio and most of the antenna pieces are here...I'm building a place to mount it in the truck...I couldn't find anything off-the-shelf that I like, so I'm buying bits and pieces, and wrenching it together as time and energy permit...All progress is being duly noted in my blog as it happens......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Thanks for the update. Once you get it in you might want to find a nice used "kicker" which with those duals you could really get out. Not legal but I bet you could do it a hundred years and no one would say a thing.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I remember those from way back when...We called them "boots"......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Here is a nice small inexpensive one that will get you 100 watt output. I never ran without one.

https://www.copperelectronics.com/ca.../KL-203-Mobile

Thanks, Tom...I'll reserve it for a future add-on...I've already got a bunch of stuff to install now......Ben

I was just thinking I've probably still got my radio and antennas. The antenna mounts are still on the side of my tool box, I've been using them for tieing stuff down. I think I'll save my energy for fixing the truck though. Your giving me the itch the more I read.
    Last edited by mgrist; 04-10-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    Your giving me the itch the more I read.
    Go for it!...Don't let good parts just collect dust......Ben

Why does this song keep popping up in my head ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QAEmCuBnck

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Why does this song keep popping up in my head ?
    It's probably that 8-track player the doctor put in when he installed your mechanical leg...You could have upgraded to at least a CD player, but your insurance wouldn't cover it......Ben

This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    You missed it by one.
    And even a playlist if you have the time......Ben

Tom, since you asked earlier for an update, I spent the afternoon trying not to disappoint you...The radio itself is going in a custom (read "homemade") center console which I am fabricating piece by piece...The radio will be mounted at the forward end of this console, but by necessity I have to start at the aft end, and at this time I don't know the exact placement of the Uniden...However the coax cabling also has to be fed in through the rear because the dual antennas are mounted on the headache rack...

Therefore today's efforts went to fabricating two antenna brackets from one inch angle iron, bolting them to the headache rack, mounting the antenna studs and running the coax through the bed, out through the frame and up through the floorboard...I used existing grommeted holes in the cab and frame, and used the factory heat shield to protect it from the catalytic converter...I drilled new holes in the bed and the floorboard, and you'll be happy to know I used new rubber grommets in those holes after deburring...I have not yet mounted the antennas, and won't until the radio is bolted in...

I don't remember in my 40 year ago CB history ever using this kind of antenna mount, but I followed instructions to the letter even though some of it defied logic...We'll know when I fire it up I suppose......Ben

Progress, even if slow is progress. I have not seen that mount before but I am sure all of that stuff has improved over the years. Waiting on the first pics of the install.

I used that kind of mount on my truck. Mounted through the plastic below the windshield. drivers side. Made a bracket that bolted to the metal by the hinge. Only used one antenna.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson