Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pennsylvania Bill Requiring All Guns To Be Registered Each Year Introduced

[QUOTE=Truckman;1051736]I'll try to prevent any future embarrassment by typing a little faster next time, Tom......

Ben I don't feel embarrassed at all I still believe that the ATF can put their finger on any weapon that was purchased through an FFL at any time they want to now y'all can call it whatever you want to but I call it registration. I think we're picking at fine threads here of what is what all I can tell you is when a detective in Fresno California has my pistol in his hand and calls me because he knows I'm the one that bought it then you call it what you may I call it registration. But you know what I'm kind of done with this one. Thanks again for the explanation you gave and I completely agree what you said as to how it works
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Here's an added step in the process...If the firearm in question has at any point in its history, been transferred or sold to an out-of-business FFL holder, the ATF resorts to its own Out of Business Records Center...When I turned in my first license to open Shooter's Station, my old records (Bound Books and 4473's) when I operated as an individual were picked up by a compliance officer, and shipped to the OOBRC, then in Falling Waters WV...They moved I forget where now because the old building was not sealed properly against weather, and the records were deteriorating...Those records are kept on file from now on with no time limit...Shooter's Station now has a new owner, and the records from the time I was involved with it are also at the OOBRC...If you're thinking the ATF is busy copying all those records into a central data file, rest easy...They're not...They have better things to do with their time......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

That was interesting.

Now I have a question? I have a rifle that my dad bought in 1947, I have the original receipt. My understanding is that it would not have been registered? It was used in a suicide, his. The rifle was taken by the local police and returned to the family. This happened in 1962. Would the rifle be in any database? Just curious.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    This happened in 1962. Would the rifle be in any database? Just curious.
    From 1962?...It's doubtful...The only one that might list it is NCIC...It's possible that a LEO could check it by S/N, but NCIC is not for civilian access......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

It won't be in NCIC unless it is listed as stolen.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

From 1962?...It's doubtful...The only one that might list it is NCIC...It's possible that a LEO could check it by S/N, but NCIC is not for civilian access......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It won't be in NCIC unless it is listed as stolen.
    Nope it's under the bed in the fifth wheel.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Here's what really happens...The ATF Form 4473 that gets filled out when you obtain a gun from a licensed dealer, whether straight sale, trade or transfer, has all the pertinent info on both you and the gun(s)...In Texas and some other states, possession of a valid state-issued license to carry a handgun pre-empts the need for a background check, and you walk out with the gun(s)...The 4473 gets numbered and goes into the dealer's file cabinets after recording the necessary info into his Bound Book (whether handwritten or electronic)...After a period of 20 years, the dealer can then destroy the 4473 at his discretion...If the background check is called in to NICS, they are told the identifying information on you, and whether the firearm is a long gun or handgun, no other information...After 30 days, the info they collect is purged from their system, and by law cannot be retained nor distributed for any purpose...

When law enforcement requests a firearm trace, ATF starts at the beginning of the trail, with either the manufacturer or the importer...That entity must tell the ATF where the gun was transferred next, usually to either a dealer or distributor, sometimes directly to a law enforcement or military unit...Each source which is called has up to three business days to comply with the request while the ATF waits for an answer...Those with electronic Bound Books can usually call up the information in seconds...I got ATF trace requests almost daily and they were usually surprised with how fast I could give them an answer...I wrote my own software, and had it certified by the ATF before they let me use it...There were many instances when I would own the gun several times in trades, and they were always pleased when I could trace through several owners and give them the final disposition in under a minute...

When the gun went to an individual, they asked me to pull the 4473 from my records, and give them name, address and ID's used...I usually had phone numbers and email addresses too if they needed it...When they go to the individual for questioning, that person was required to give any information they had on where it went next, whether sold, traded, given away, stolen, lost or any other circumstances...Sometimes the individual could not even remember owning the gun, or where it went next, and that was the end of the trail...

This is why I know that no matter how many internet rumors you hear about "registration" or a government "central file" of gun ownership, it simply isn't true...If such a thing existed, why would they need to try to trace it beginning with its manufacture or importation?......Ben
    Very informative, my question is, when the gun shop goes out of business, is sold, or otherwise changes hands what happens to all the 4473's.

Never mind, answered.
    Last edited by Charles; 03-24-2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: already answered question