Thread: Big Sigh

Big Sigh

My dad is 96, he has been in the hospital for 6 weeks. He is getting weaker. My sister and I just had the Hospice discussion. It's not easy.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

No it's not. My dad battled Alzheimers disease for 6 years before passing at 83. 96 is a long life and for that you can be thankful.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Hospice was a Godsend for us when Mom began to weaken...It was nothing like any of us had imagined...She had five months of the finest care she could have gotten anywhere...And all in her own home, and all 100% covered by Medicare...It was a real blessing at that time...She was 98 when she passed away last April......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

If you are conflicted regarding hospice, don't be .

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    If you are conflicted regarding hospice, don't be .
    I'm not, it's getting the rest of the family to accept that it might be/ is that time in his life.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    I'm not, it's getting the rest of the family to accept that it might be/ is that time in his life.
    Understood---that can be a very painful hurdle for them to get over. If they could be encouraged to read "On Death and Dying" it could be of great value in helping them through this struggle.

Many years ago (70's) I took a college course at a local women's college (Cedar Crest) on the subject of death and dying. I was the single male in a class of about 35. Most were health professionals (but not one doctor). It was wonderful and inspiring. It is without a doubt the most memorable course of my academic journey. It went a long way to prepare me to face my own parents passing. One of the text books we had was the book listed above.

Good luck to you Eric--and your father. I am sure you know he is both aware of his future and likely struggling with that reality. The more of those around him resign themselves to that journey the better they will be able to support your father in his own need to accept death.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Well I hope things are going okay for you. I know you haven't posted in awhile but I was thinking about you and I I know it's a tough deal
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Not much has changed, he is not doing better but not much worse either. I don't think he likes the situation but he hasn't given up yet either. My sister doesn't think he can go on this way more than a few more weeks. But we shall see. I will go back down to see him in about 10 days